This is one of those Sloppy Joe Casserole recipes that I believe was on the box of a biscuit mix back in the day, as we say. I made it this week one evening when I wanted to use up some ground beef that I had leftover from making this skillet dinner.
What I love about this recipe is that it is incredibly easy with the help of a sloppy joe sauce. Paired up with a salad and side dish it makes a hearty, inexpensive meal. I also find that the bread layer tastes much better than store-bought buns.
By the way, this recipe has less carbs than a traditional sloppy joe because there is only bread on one side of the sloppy joe.
This is one of those hamburger casserole recipes that you will want to keep around when you need a quick dinner idea. If you want to make everything from scratch, there is a great recipe for homemade sloppy joe sauce from Ree here.
Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup sloppy joe sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 teaspoons butter or margarine for greasing
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a frying pan, brown onion and ground beef.
- While beef is cooking, mix together biscuit mix and milk until blended. Set aside.
- When beef is brown, drain completely.
- Add sloppy joe sauce to beef and heat through.
- Lightly rub butter or margarine sides and bottom of casserole dish.
- Place ground beef mixture in casserole dish.
- Layer with shredded cheese.
- Pour the biscuit batter over cheese.
- Bake in oven 20-25 minutes until bread is golden brown.
Prize: $100 Amazon Gift Card
Rules: Use the Rafflecopter form to enter daily. Giveaway ends 5/26 and is open worldwide. Winner will be notified via email.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Are you a blogger who wants to participate in giveaways like these to grow your blog? Click here to find out how you can join a totally awesome group of bloggers!