This Chicken Pozole, is hearty and full of flavor. This tasty soup is light and filling with a wonderful spice! My family loves it and it is easy to make.
What is Pozole?
Pozole is a traditional Mexican stew that is often served on special occasions and holidays. It can be made with chicken, beef or pork. Back in the day, my grandmother used to make her own hominy, but there is no need to these days. She would refer to this as a pozole verde de pollo, which translates to green chicken pozole. This is my Easy Chicken Pozole Recipe and I hope you love it as much as we do.
Chicken Green Pozole is one of our easy soup recipes you will want to bookmark.
Why This Recipe Rocks
Tasty. This recipe is full of Mexican flavor. Chilies, chicken and spicy broth come together for a delicious meal.
Easy Recipe. This delicious Mexican stew is easy to make with simple ingredients. Everything needed can be found at your local grocery store and this is a relatively quick pozole recipe since you are using cooked chicken.
Versatile. This green chicken pozole is a flavorful, comforting soup. It is a nice hearty soup for the winter months that is easy to change to suit your tastes.
Ingredients - Pozole de Pollo (Chicken Pozole)
- green chilis
- poblano or pasilla and jalapeño chili peppers
- cilantro - use fresh cilantro
- Mexican oregano - in the Mexican foods section at the market
- cooked chicken - rotisserie chicken works great
- chicken broth - I like to use a low-sodium chicken broth
- canned hominy - rinsed and drained
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Chicken Pozole
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
Step 1 - Cut the half onion in fourths and trim chilis for the food processor.
Step 2 - In a food processor, add tomatillos, onions, both chilis, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano and cilantro. Pulse until smooth.
Step 3 - In a large large stockpot or dutch oven, add oil over medium high heat. Pour chili puree along with the cooked chicken.
Step 4 - In a second pot, add chicken stock, water and shredded chicken.
Step 5 - Add the hominy to the soup base.
Step 6 - Add the green chili mixture to the soup base.
Step 7 - Simmer on stove 15-20 minutes. Serve with a slice of lime and avocado.
Substitutions & Variations
- Rotisserie chicken - instead of raw chicken breasts, you can use rotisserie shredded chicken.
- Spicy- For a more spicy option spicy option , you can level this up by adding a little more jalapeño peppers or chili sauce.
- Vegetarian - replace the chicken with tofu or vegetables and use vegetable stock to replace chicken stock. Vegetables you could add are carrots, corn, zucchini, squash or bell peppers.
Pozole is especially delicious when served with a variety of toppings. some of my favorite toppings are diced onions, radishes, chopped cilantro, shredded cabbage, radish slices, lime wedges, salsa, sour cream or hot sauce.
For serving sides, warm flour or corn tortillas, tortilla chips and bread complement the soup nicely.
Store in an airtight container. It is especially good the next day. The soup can also be frozen for up to three months.
Canned hominy can be found in the Mexican food aisle at your favorite grocery store. I often find a better selection and Mexican markets.
Yes, you can make a vegetarian or vegan version of pozole by omitting the meat and using vegetable broth instead. You can also add vegetables like carrots, zucchini, or bell peppers to enhance the flavor and texture.
es, pozole can be made in advance. In fact, many people believe that pozole tastes even better when reheated the next day as the flavors have had more time to develop. Store it in the refrigerator and reheat gently on the stovetop before serving.
Hominy is a type of corn that has been processed in a specific way. It is made from dried maize kernels that are treated with an alkali solution, making the kernels larger, softer, and easier to digest. You can find out more about hominy.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Mega chicken noodle soup
- large pot or large dutch oven
- cutting board
- slotted spoon
- 2 -3 tomatillos
- ½ onion
- 1 poblano or pasilla chili seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable or Corn Oil
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup cooked chicken shredded
- 1 can 30 oz hominy drained or 2 15 oz
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- avocado for garnish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Cut the half onion in fourths and trim chilis for the food processor.
- In a food processor, add tomatillos, onions, both chilis, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano and cilantro. Pulse until smooth.
- Add oil to a medium pot over medium heat.t Add 1 cup chicken broth and chili puree. Whisk until blended. Add salt and black pepper.
- Cook puree for about 10 minutes until the mixture darkens.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add remaining chicken stock and water over medium heat. Add chicken and drained hominy. Then add the puree and stir until well combined and heated through.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve with lime and avocado if desired.