This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is a delicious fall recipe idea! Made with basil and ginger, it is the perfect creamy soup for lunch or dinner!
This soup is not difficult to make and is very economical too. We serve it year-round and love how creamy and rich it tastes!
Why This Recipe?
Hello Friends! I hope this week finds you well! This time of year I get excited about getting cozy and watching movies or football or curling up with a good book. I love that we are feeling some cool fall breezes too. Are you feeling a glimpse of fall where you live?
Today’s sweet potato soup recipe is a lovely vegetable soup that is full of fall flavors. Sweet potatoes are in abundance this time of year and I love their slightly sweet flavor and creaminess.
This delicious soup is terrific on a cool, fall evening. In keeping this as one of our healthy soups, this recipe does not have heavy cream.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Soup
chicken or vegetable stock
sweet potatoes – use any variety of sweet potatoes from your grocery store
ginger – I like to use fresh ginger, but ground ginger is ok too.
Equipment and Tools Needed
Large saucepan or stock pot
food processor or immersion blender
This Sweet Potato Soup Recipe with Garlic and Basil is just the thing for a busy weekday or weekend meal. It starts with fresh sweet potatoes and vegetables and is ready in about 30 minutes.
How To Make Sweet Potato Soup
- Wash and chop the vegetables.
- Simmer onion and celery.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on medium-high heat.
- Once the potato cooks through you can use an immersion blender or standing blender to cream the soup. Reduce to medium-low heat.
With a hint of ginger and basil, the flavors complement the sweet potato nicely.
This is also a great soup if you are on Weight Watchers, each serving of this soup is about 3 WW Smart points. I make this soup without any cream or milk, but you can add a bit if you like.
I use an immersion blender to make this soup, but you can also use a blender if you like.
Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread.
Try these out and you just may discover your new favorite soup recipe! There is nothing like a hot soup on a cool fall day to enjoy the season. So many great vegetables are full of fall flavor right now.
- You could make the potatoes ahead of time if you bake them, but never freeze raw sweet potatoes as they will lose flavor.
- You can use canned sweet potatoes for this recipe, however, most canned sweet potatoes are packed in syrup and they will be a lot sweeter and contain more sugar if you use them. I recommend not using canned.
- This recipe is a perfect way to use leftover baked sweet potatoes from a meal. Think about baking a batch ahead of time and use some for a side dish and others for this soup.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Sweet Potato Soup
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil
- Three sweet potatoes size medium
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 treaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot on the stove sauté onion and celery in oil over medium heat until clear and tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer for 25 minutes till sweet potatoes are tender.
- Cool slightly and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Top with sour cream and basil leaves (optional).
Sweet Potato Soup Toppings
There are many different ways to change up the toppings on this soup. This soup is especially good topped with either bacon, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, basil leaves, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
If you want to make this a little bit creamier, you can add 1/2 cup of coconut milk when the soup is simmering.
I hope you enjoyed this easy recipe idea! I think it is one the whole family will love.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Easy Mexicorn Chowder – This colorful and creamy soup is made in minutes and is delightfully delicious and filling.
- Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening.
- Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup – a classic flavorful, homestyle soup that brings back memories of simpler times.
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
For more delicious recipes, check out our weekly newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.