This Potato Chipotle Soup Recipe with tortillas is a nice hearty soup for chilly days! This is the perfect fall soup recipe when you need a simple weeknight dinner on the table.
Be sure to check out our best Sweep Potato Soup recipe too! It's a family favorite. These soups also make for inexpensive meal ideas too!
This recipe sort of came about quite by accident. I wanted to make a potato soup a little spicier so I thought I would add some Chipotle peppers to it. I added some cream and spices and it actually came out very good. It's a nice, slightly spicy soup that brings extra warmth to a cold day. It goes great with these Green Chili Quesadillas or tortillas and butter.
It also can be made the day before which I think is nice because the flavors get a chance to blend. Another great thing about this recipe is that it is a very low cost to make. With the main ingredients being potatoes and chipotle peppers, you can make a pot of soup for just a few dollars.
This Chipotle Red Pepper Soup recipe is a nice one for warming up on a cold day. You will note that there are tortillas in the soup as well that dissolve and work as a great thickener for soups. Topping it off with some sour cream and cilantro is optional, but makes it prettier!
We love to eat this while watching some of our favorite shows. These cute soup bowls with handles make it easy to enjoy!
- If you do not have broth on hand, you can make this recipe using a chicken bouillon or bouillon granules). I like to use a ratio of 1 cube to two cups of water to keep the sodium level a little lower.
- Make this the night before and it will keep well in the refrigerator.
- You can also use vegetable broth for this recipe.
Don't forget to pin this recipe for Potato Chipotle Soup:
For more great easy soup recipes, check out:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - A classic soup that is so easy to make and everyone loves it!
- Easy Corn Chowder – This colorful and creamy soup is made in minutes and is delightfully delicious and filling.
- Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup – a classic flavorful, homestyle soup that brings back memories of simpler times.
- Baked Potato Soup - All the flavors of a baked potato in a soup.
Don't forget to save this soup for those chilly days....
Potato Chipotle Soup Recipe
Potato Chipotle Soup Recipe
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 large or 4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 2 corn tortillas chopped
- 2 cups milk
- ½ can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or hot sauce optional
- sour cream for garnish optional
- In a large pot, add 5 cups chicken broth chopped potatoes, onion, celery and tortilla Cook over medium heat until water starts to boil. Cover and cook on low heat about 25 minutes, or until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Add milk, chili in adobo, salt, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to blend well.
- Simmer for 10 -15 minutes and serve.
- This is when I add hot sauce/chili powder, according to taste.
For more great soup recipes, check out our delicious Mexicorn Chowder a wonderful, hearty soup with potatoes and mexicorn. You may also like our Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Noodles, a perfect soup for anytime, and especially if you have family members that need a little extra comfort.
I hope you enjoyed my Potato Soup with Chipotle Chili. We strive to help you make the most of your time in the kitchen.
What is your favorite hearty soup?
You're my hero with this one. I love potato ANYTHING and potato soup is a weakness. And, no onions or cilantro!
Your photos are exquisite.
Ha! I remembered cilantro but did not know about the onions. You would love this Tamara!
This soup looks really good and I think I have everything on hand to make it! I'd love for you to come share at Let's Party! We look forward to you sharing! https://themarkandjanshow.com/2018/01/10/lets-party-3/
Raquel, this soup looks so yummy! I love the combination of potato and chipotle. I don't think I've ever encountered that before - which makes me want to try this!
Thanks so much! It really is a nice combination!