This easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is a wonderful, hearty soup and a great way to use up potatoes. Made easily in minutes and it goes great with a loaf of bread or homemade cheese bread, and you all know how much I love easy soup recipes!
I have been making this recipe during this season to allow the food budget to stretch a bit. This recipe can easily be doubled and makes a great lunch idea too!
Hello Friends! Wow, what a season this turned out to be. If you are like me, you are cooking a lot of meals right now. Sometimes, I go for a soup like this with a piece of bread for dinner or on its own for a lunch idea.
I have to say that I do enjoy cooking, but I do have to get out for a walk every day just to get out and get some fresh air. I hope that you and your family are doing well wherever you are.
This Baked Potato Soup recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty soup to put together quickly. I modified my potato cheese soup to come up with this recipe. I remember having a soup like this in a steak house, back when there used to be a bunch of them. I think this recipe is very close to the ones I remember.
Main Ingredients for Loaded Baked Potato Soup:
Potatoes – I recommend using Russet Potatoes for this soup. Round white potatoes can also work well.
Bacon – I use regular, low-sodium bacon, but you can use turkey bacon if you like.
Cheese – I always go with mild cheddar, but you can use sharp cheddar or white cheddar too!
Sour Cream – If you are like me, this is a must because I always put a dollop of sour cream on my baked potatoes, however, if you would like a loaded baked potato soup without sour cream, you can leave this out.
The full recipe is below, but I like to highlight the six steps in making loaded baked potato soup.
- Saute the onions and celery.
- Add the potatoes and water to cook. I use 3 or 4 potatoes (3 if they are large, 4 if they are medium).
- Mash the potatoes with a masher.
- Start the Roux in a saucepan.
- Add Roux to potato mixture.
- Combine and serve into bowls. Top each bowl with bacon and cheese.
The result is delicious!
For more great recipes ideas
- Potato Cheese Soup – This is the original basis for this soup. Easy to make and wonderful!
- Easy Mexicorn Chowder – This colorful and creamy soup is made in minutes and is delightfully delicious and filling.
- Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening.
- Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup – a classic flavorful, homestyle soup that brings back memories of simpler times.
Don’t forget to save this recipe.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 5 cups water
- 3-4 russet potatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream
In a large pot, combine water, celery, and onions over medium-low heat until onions are clear.
Add diced potatoes, chicken bouillon granules, water and salt, and pepper
Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 15-17 minutes until potatoes are soft.
Melt butter in a saucepan.
As soon as the butter is melted, whisk in flour slowly.
Then gradually add milk to the flour mixture and whisk continuously.
Heat 5 minutes and pour into soup mixture.
Add salt and pepper.
Mix well until blended and let soup heat through.
Pour into bowls and top with shredded Cheddar Cheese, bacon bits and sour cream, if desired.
- I like to make the bacon in the morning for this and save it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- You can use pre-shredded cheddar cheese to save a little bit of time.
- If you like you can bake the potatoes the day before, either in the oven or microwave and just store them in the refrigerator until ready to use.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.