This simple Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is a really great meal that comes together quickly. It is a perfect weeknight meal idea.
Made with ingredients you likely have on hand and this dinner or lunch idea goes great with these vegetable quesadillas.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy. This homemade rotisserie Tortilla Soup recipe comes together easily with flavors of chicken, tortillas, and vegetables, for a wonderful hot meal. You can use a rotisserie chicken from your favorite grocery store or from Sams Club or Costco.
Delicious. It is a perfect winter soup as it is very comforting too. I usually make it by using a rotisserie chicken to save some time, but of course, it can be made with baked chicken breasts or leftover cooked chicken. The vegetables and spices make it very flavorful and colorful.
Cheap. This is a very inexpensive chicken soup to make, especially if you can get a $5 rotisserie chicken from Costco. The other ingredients are items you likely have in your pantry making this an easy budget meal idea.
If you like your soup spicy, you can add a little more chili powder or ¼ teaspoon of jalapenos. I would recommend that you taste it first so that it has just the right about of spice you like.
This soup is so delicious with tortillas too!
Be sure to check out our other great soup recipes on the island:
- Easy Mexicorn Chowder – This colorful and creamy soup is made in minutes and is delightfully delicious and filling.
- Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening.
- Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup – a classic flavorful, homestyle soup that brings back memories of simpler times.
Be sure to pin this recipe.
Use rotisserie chicken if you do not have the time to make or defrost cooked chicken breasts.
Chop up the bell peppers ahead of time and store in the oven until ready to make this soup.
This soup can be made ahead as long as you don't add the tortilla chips, cheese, and avocado until serving.
What to Serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the toppings, you can serve with sliced avocados, shredded cheese or salsa.
Chicken tortilla soup goes great with a quesadilla, side salad, sandwich or as a first course to any Mexican entree.
Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 cups rotisserie cooked chicken chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 8 ¾oz can Mexicorn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup broken tortilla chips
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 =6 avocado slices optional
- In a pot over medium heat, add all ingredients and heat until boiling. reduce heat, over and simmer 20 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and avocado if desired.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!