This easy Sweet Potato Casserole is a perfect potato side dish for the holidays or any special occasion. Made easily with just a few ingredients, this side dish is also very economical.
This casserole can also be made the day before to save you valuable time on cooking day. I know it is easy to just dump a can of yams in a pan but trust me, homemade is so easy and delicious! You will see that this recipe is quite easy!
It's almost time for Thanksgiving and this year I am looking forward to an intimate Thanksgiving with the family. It has been quite a year, so you can bet I am going to do my best to make this year's celebration special.
Today I wanted to share my sweet potato casserole recipe with you. There was a time when I would use canned yams for my sweet potatoes. Heck - I was so busy those years and thankfully, I can now say I make my potatoes from scratch and it really is so easy to do. I strongly suggest you try this recipe and decide for yourself how good they are!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This easy Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping is so delicious and it is very simple to make. Sweet potatoes are a lovely fall vegetable and you can enjoy them in this casserole.
You can make this casserole ahead of time, saving you some prep time if you serve it as part of a holiday meal. These will look great on a Thanksgiving table.
These cream sweet poatoes have a marshmallow topping and it is hearty and comforting! It is sure to become a family favorite.
This easy sweet potato casserole is the perfect side dish for any fall dinner. Creamy sweet potatoes are topped with a sweet crunchy topping with a sweet pecan flavor.
This recipe just takes a few ingredients and is a great recipe for Thanksgiving Day.
List of main ingredients:
Potatoes – Make sure you use fresh sweet potatoes for this recipe.
Marshmallows – I love a sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. You will want to use mini marshmallows with this recipe.
Nuts – I always make this recipe with pecans, but you could use walnuts if you want.
Sugar - You can use light or dark brown sugar.
Variations on this recipe.
If you want to omit the marshmallows, you can replace them with a sprinkling of brown sugar.
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole
The full easy recipe is below, but it takes a few easy steps:
- Cut potatoes
- Heat potatoes on the stove until fork tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Grab a potato masher once potatoes are cooked.
- Mash away at the sweet potato mixture.
5. Add brown sugar and eggs.
6. Mix potatoes well.
7. Pour into a casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients in a medium bowl.
8. Top with marshmallows and pecan crumble mixture before baking.
You will love how these come out!
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
For more great casserole side recipes ideas, check out:
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – Use your crockpot and save space on your stove with this easy Potato Recipe.
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes – Cheesy potatoes in a wonderful casserole made in the oven.
- Baked Butternut Squash – Baked in the oven with no added sugar.
- Easy Cornbread – A delicious cornbread recipe from scratch and tastes great with honey butter.
- Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries - A wonderful fall or winder dinner side dish.
- Roasted Smashed Potatoes - A delicious way to enjoy potatoes as a side dish.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole With Pecan Topping
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3-4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes
- Place cut potatoes in a large pot and cover with water
- Bring to boil on the stovetop and cook for 10-15 or until tender
- Drain and add to a large bowl
- preheat oven to 375° F
- Lightly spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray
- Mash with a potato masher.
- Add butter, brown sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt and whisk until well combined
- Stir in pecans
- Evenly spread mixture into prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle with marshmallows and remaining pecans
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown
- Serve immediately
- You can make this the day ahead and heat it up on the day you plan to serve.
- For creamier potatoes, you can use a hand mixer in place of a masher.
- Chop the nuts ahead of time so that they are ready when you are.
I hope you enjoyed this delicious sweet potato casserole recipe. For more easy recipes for your holiday table, be sure to subscribe to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.