Fresh herbs are combined with butter for this fantastic herb butter recipe. It makes a great compound butter for steak and other meats.Jump to Recipe
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Delicious. This is a great way to elevate your meal.
Easy. This homemade herb butter recipe comes together with just a few ingredients. Making your own herb butter is a great way to use herbs from your herb garden.
Versatile. This butter is great on beef, garlic bread, fresh vegetables and many other foods. It makes a full cup of butter so you will likely have leftovers for other meals.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- unsalted butter - use room temperature butter for best results. Regular butter or even the generic grocery store brand works great.
- fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary)
- fresh chives
See recipe card for quantities.
Be sure to try my Jalapeño Butter - also great on meats and vegetables.
How to Make Homemade Garlic Herb Butter
The full recipe instructions for this copycat recipe are in the recipe card, below but here is a step by step overview.
Place room temperature butter in a medium bowl
Cream butter with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
Add herbs and salt to butter.
Blend herbs well.
Place butter mixture in the center of a piece of parchment or wax peper
Be sure to fold up the ends of the wax paper and refrigerate.
Substitutions & Variations
- Dry herbs - instead of fresh herbs, you can use dried herbs
- Fresh Garlic - Make a delicious Garlic Herb Butter by adding garlic powder or 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Herb Butter Recipes - are an easy way to elevate your meal. You can substitute different herbs and experiment with different flavor combinations easily and quickly.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
One of the easiest ways to serve is to pair with your favorite breads and dinner rolls.
- Butter Mold - In place of making a roll, you can place butter mixture in a mold before refrigerating.
- Vegetables - This delicious compound butter is delicious topping for steamed vegetables and pasta. You can use on green beans, spinach and fish. You can add a splash of lemon juice for a tasty topping.
- Kid friendly - to add a kid friendly version to your holiday table, try my cinnamon honey butter recipe.
Store leftover herbed butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- parchment paper or wax paper
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Herb butters are so easy to make and change up. Try adding some to vegetables and breads for a great flavor boost.
Yes, if tightly sealed you can freeze herb butter.
Herb Butter Recipe
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons fresh herbs chopped (such as parsley, chives, thyme, rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combined softened butter with the fresh herbs until well blended
- Place butter on parchment paper, cover and roll into log
- Twist ends of parchment paper
- Chill in refrigerator at least 24 hours before serving
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!