This easy Homemade Cornbread Stuffing recipe is perfect for a fall side dish or for a great complement to a turkey. Homemade stuffing is really easy to make and the flavor of cornbread is delicious!
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing is a favorite side dish when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Once to try making it from scratch, you will see how much better it is than the boxed stuffings. While there are times when I have used storebought stuffing, this recipe is my favorite way to make it.Jump to Recipe
I hope you had a great weekend! We enjoyed a weekend of wonderful weather! It warmed up.
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty cornbread recipe for the holidays or potluck dinners. Made with cornbread and seasonings, it is pretty easy to put together in about 20 minutes.
Cornbread is my favorite type of stuffing and you can serve this on the side for turkeys and it is also great with pork dishes.
Today’s recipe is a wonderful cornbread stuffing casserole that is perfect for any holiday meal.
For more great holiday recipes ideas, check out:
- Sweet Potato Casserole - A delicious fall casserole made with sweet potatoes and brown sugar.
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – Use your crockpot and save space on your stove with this easy Potato Recipe.
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes – Cheesy potatoes in a wonderful casserole made in the oven.
- Baked Butternut Squash – Baked in the oven with no added sugar.
- Easy Cornbread – A delicious cornbread recipe from scratch and tastes great with honey butter.
Made with just a handful of ingredients, this recipe is flavorful and delicious!
List of main ingredients:
Cornbread– You can make from scratch with this homemade recipe, cornbread from a mix, or use storebought ready-made cornbread.
Flour– I recommend all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Breadcrumbs– Week old bread is best for this recipe. Do not use storebought bread crumbs in the canister. Those are too fine for this recipe.
How to make Cornbread Stuffing
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe!
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 bag 12 oz dry stuffing cubes
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ - 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Prepare cornbread 1-2 days ahead
- Be sure cornbread is dry, if not, cut into 1 inch cubes and spread on baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
- Dry cornbread in oven for 30-45 minutes, toss every 10-12 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Coat 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat
- Add chopped onions and celery and cook until soft
- Remove from heat
- Add seasonings and mix well
- Add cornbread and stuffing cubes to very large bowl
- Add onion mixture and mix well
- Lightly beat eggs and add to cornbread mixture, mix well
- Gradually add broth to cornbread mixture and stir with each addition ** see notes
- Spread stuffing into prepared baking dish
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and serve immediately
- Make the cornbread a day or two ahead of time.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.