This easy Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is perfect for rainy, cold days! Made easily on your stovetop with just a few inexpensive ingredients, it makes a great comfort food meal!
It is deliciously rich and comes together in less than an hour. It’s also a great way to use up extra ham or potatoes. We love to eat homemade soups year-round and this one is a family favorite. Be sure to check out our time-saving tips following the recipe.
Hello Friends! Does it feel like it has been soup season forever? It has seemed like it at my house, but the good news is we love soups any time of year! Today’s recipe is warm, comforting and full of cheesy flavor!
Ths ham and potato soup recipe is the perfect choice when you are looking to put a meal together in about 30 minutes. Because it all comes together in one pot, it makes for easy clean up too!
Today’s recipe is a wonderful hot and cheesy soup that you can make in about 30 minutes on your stove. It is a hearty, comfort food style soup that goes well on its own or can be paired with a sandwich or salad.
Ingredients for Cheesy Ham Soup
Potatoes – I recommend using Russet Potatoes for this soup. Round white potatoes can also work well.
Ham – You can use just about any cooked ham for this recipe. Whether it is leftover spiral ham or ham lunch meat, it all works well. The key is to chop the ham into small bites.
Cheese – I always go with mild cheddar, but you can also use a Sharp Cheddar or White Cheddar too!
Variations on this recipe.
Ham Potato Corn Chowder – Just add 2/3 cup of canned and drained sweet corn for this variation.
For more great recipes ideas
- Potato Cheese Soup – This is a classic favorite and so easy to make.
- Potato Chipotle Soup – a hearty potato soup made with a hint of chipotle for some heat!
- Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Noodles – use what you have on hand for this comforting recipe
How to make Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe.
Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
- 5 cups water
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter (total 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter in large cookpot on the stove.
- Heat over medium until butter melts.
- Add chopped celery and onion and saute until onion is clear.
- Add water, potatoes to pot and cook over medium until potatoes are cooked. Use a fork to check.
- In a small saucepan melt remainng 2 tablespoons of butter and add flour.
- Whisk flour and butter until smooth. Add milk and stir ..
- Add flour mixture (roux) to the potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and ham to the mixture.
- Heat 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- Add cheese to the soup and serve.
- You can use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe, or better yet, shred the cheese yourself and keep in the refrigerator for the week to use in recipes.
- You can cut the potatoes a few hours or overnight ahead of time, but store cut potatoes in water in the refrigerator. I do not recommend doing this more than the day before.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.