This easy Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is perfect for rainy, cold days! Made easily on your stovetop with just a few inexpensive ingredients, it makes a great comfort food meal!
It is also the perfect soup to use leftover ham. Today's recipe is warm, comforting and full of cheesy flavor! Like my cheesy bacon potato soup, this delicious soup is sure to become a family favorite.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This creamy ham and potato soup, or ham chowder as some call it, is deliciously rich and comes together in less than an hour. It's also a great way to use up extra ham or potatoes. We love to eat homemade soups year-round and this one is a family favorite. Be sure to check out our time-saving tips following the recipe.
This ham and potato soup recipe is the perfect choice when you are looking to put a meal together in about 30 minutes. Because it all comes together in one pot on your stove top. It makes for easy clean up too!
This easy ham soup is pure comfort food. There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup to warm tummies on a cold day.
This easy soup recipe also makes for a cheap dinner idea. The cost to make this is very inexpensive which is always a win in my book. It is also a great way to use up leftover ham.
It's soup season! Today’s recipe is a wonderful hot and cheesy soup that you can make in about 30 minutes on your stove. It is a hearty and creamy soup that goes well on its own or can be paired with a sandwich or salad.
Ingredients for Cheesy Ham Soup
Potatoes – I recommend using Russet Potatoes for this soup. Round white potatoes can also work well.
Ham - You can use just about any cooked ham for this recipe. Whether it is leftover spiral ham or ham lunch meat, it all works well. The key is to chop the ham into small bites.
Cheese – I always go with mild cheddar, but you can also use a Sharp Cheddar cheese or White Cheddar too! This makes for a wonderful cheesy soup.
Variations on this recipe.
Ham Potato Corn Chowder - Just add ⅔ cup of canned and drained sweet corn for this variation.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Potato Cheese Soup - This is a classic favorite and so easy to make.
- Potato Chipotle Soup - a hearty potato soup made with a hint of chipotle for some heat!
- Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Noodles - use what you have on hand for this comforting recipe
- Baked Potato Soup - All the flavors of a baked potato in a soup. Super tasty!
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup - A great base to flavor it up with vegetables or use as a casserole base.
How to Make Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute the celery and onions over medium heat until onions run clear.
- Add water and peeled potatoes. Cook until fork tender.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Make a roux in a small saucepan,
- Add roux milk mixture to the potato mixture.
- Mix together until creamy and serve.
Can I make this cheesy potato soup in My Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! Slow cooker ham and potato soup is easy to make.
Can I Freeze Ham and Cheese Soup?
It does not freeze well.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
- You can use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe, or better yet, shred the cheese yourself and keep in the refrigerator for the week to use in recipes.
- You can cut the potatoes a few hours or overnight ahead of time, but store cut potatoes in water in the refrigerator. I do not recommend doing this more than the day before.
- Be sure to mix the roux together (flour and milk) in a separate pan before adding to the soup, will help you avoid a lumpy texture.
- You can substitute chicken stock or chicken broth for the water for a richer flavor.
Serving, Storage & Leftover Suggestions
- Serve this hearty soup with crusty bread or with half a sandwich for a cheap lunch idea.
- Serve this soup in teacups or mugs for an extra cozy vibe or for an afternoon tea party.
- Top soup with cheese, chopped green onions and/or sour cream.
- To make this a richer soup, you can use half and half or heavy cream in place of half of the milk.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
- 5 cups water
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- ⅔ cup chopped cooked ham
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter (total ¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter in large cookpot on the stove.
- Heat over medium until butter melts.
- Add chopped celery and onion and saute until onion is clear.
- Add water, potatoes to pot and cook over medium until potatoes are cooked. Use a fork to check.
- In a small saucepan melt remainng 2 tablespoons of butter and add flour.
- Whisk flour and butter until smooth. Add milk and stir ..
- Add flour mixture (roux) to the potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and ham to the mixture.
- Heat 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- Add cheese to the soup and serve.
We hope you enjoyed this ham and potato Cheddar soup recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!