This easy Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe perfect for a hearty soup or as a substitute for condensed chicken soup in recipes. I love that I can control the amount of sodium and leave any preservatives out of it.
This recipe is great on its own or in a Chicken Divan casserole. It makes a delicious soup on it’s own, and you can also add some additional toppings like chives or cheese on the top, if you like. This recipe is super easy and I love to use it as a replacement for the jello-type soups that are called for in casseroles.
Hello Friends! How is your week going? We are enjoying welcoming spring this week!
Why This Recipe
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty cream soup to put together quickly
Making homemade cream of chicken soup is not only a flavorful and filling soup on its own, but it also a perfect base for many other recipes. This cream soup recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. You can even make it with rotisserie chicken to save some time.
The result is a creamy, perfectly cooked comfort meal that is tasty and comforting.
This recipe just takes a few ingredients:
List of main ingredients:
Butter – I always suggest using real butter in recipes.
Flour – All-purpose flour is what I use for this recipe.
Chicken Stock – You can use chicken broth or stock. In a pinch, you can use a chicken bouillon cube mixed with water.
Half and Half – Half and half adds a rich and creamy element to the soup. You can substitute the half and half with whole milk. I used to make this recipe with heavy cream, but honestly, it tastes great with half and half with less calories.
Chicken – Diced cooked chicken tenders or thighs work perfectly for this recipe
Spices – Garlic powder and onion power add a nice flavor to this soup recipe. Of course, salt and pepper are alsi included in this recipe.
How to make Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup chicken, cooked and chopped
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over a medium heat
- Add in flour and whisk together until well combined
- Add chicken stock and milk, whisk until smooth, about 1-2 minutes
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Bring to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken about 3-5 minutes
- Add in the chopped chicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- You can make this recipe ahead, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Use a quality whisk to blend the ingredients in the soup, it makes a difference.
- Be sure to stir the soup often and watch the temperature so that it doesn’t overcook.
- Consider doubling or tripling the recipe. These soups make so many great dishes and it is nice to have them on hand, ready to use.
- Add additional salt and pepper to the soup as you like. Everyone’s tastes are different and it is easy to add a bit more flavor.
FAQ for this Recipe
Can I Freeze Cream of Chicken Soup?
Yes, you can freeze the soup in a freezer-safe container.
Can I Make Cream of Chicken Soup in a Crock-Pot?
Yes, you can absolutely make this recipe in the crockpot or slow cooker. This recipe is best cooked on low for 8-10 hours.
Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Noodles – A delicious soup with lots of hearty noodles that is super simple to make.
Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening.
Easy Tortilla Soup – This colorful and tasty soup is made in minutes and is delightfully delicious and filling.
Cream of Celery Soup a nice creamy soup that is perfect as a base too!
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.