If you really enjoy potatoes or want to make a delicious dish for your next get-together, accordion potatoes are a great choice. This recipe for accordion potatoes is so tasty and will make your table look fancy.
It's inspired by the hasselback technique, and these crispy accordion potatoes have become popular because of their unique shape and tasty herby garlic butter.
Wow your friends and family with this accordion potatoes recipe, and you'll likely want to make it more than once. Whether it's for a special event or a relaxed meal, these crispy accordion potatoes will be a tasty choice for your menu. Experience the joy of making a dish that's as good as what you'd get in a restaurant, even if it takes a bit more time in the kitchen.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Crispy Perfection: Achieve a crispy outer layer with soft and tender insides, making it the perfect texture.
- Herby Garlic Butter: The combination of melted butter, garlic, oregano, parsley, and Parmesan creates a flavorful herb butter that elevates the taste.
- Impressive Dish: Serve up a fancy-looking potato side dish without a complicated cooking process, making it perfect for special occasions.
- Versatile: Experiment with different potato varieties, such as Yukon gold or red potatoes, for unique flavors.
Ingredients for this accordion potato recipe
- Russet potatoes
- Unsalted butter, melted
- Parsley, chopped
- Clove garlic, minced
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Equipment and kitchen tools
- Parchment-lined baking tray
- Wooden skewers
How to make accordion hasselback potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Peel and cut the potatoes into long, oblong strips.
Place the potato between two skewers so that you can make your cuts, but not all the way through.
Make diagonal cuts in the potatoes close together (cuts should be ¼" or less)
Flip it over, and cut diagonal slices halfway through.
Rinse the potatoes and place them in a large bowl of cold water to prevent browning.
Dry each potato slice and carefully slide the potato on the skewer sticks
Prepare the sauce in a small bowl with the melted butter, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Brush top and bottom of skewers with the garlic butter mixture
Bake for 20 minutes on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Halfway through baking, brush with another coat of the butter sauce.
Bake for another 20 minutes.
Sprinkle the potatoes with shredded parmesan.
Tips for the Best Results
- Use a sharp knife and a cutting board for precision when making thin slices.
- For an air fryer alternative, adjust the cooking time accordingly until golden brown.
- Experiment with different herbs and fresh spices for unique flavors.
- Top with fresh herbs for extra flavor and presentation.
- Store leftover potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Substitutions and Variations
- Try using sweet potatoes for a delightful twist.
- Substitute vegan butter for a plant-based option.
- Add red pepper or white pepper for an extra kick.
- Use your favorite toppings, like green onions, bacon bits or sour cream.
FAQs about this Recipe
Absolutely! Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes work well for this recipe.
Yes, you can prepare them ahead of time and store them in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven for the best results.
Yes, sweet potatoes can be used for a delicious variation.
More great side dish recipes
- 2 Russet potatoes
- ⅓ cups unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into long oblong strips.
- Place the potato between two skewers so that you can make your cuts, but not all the way through.
- Make diagonal cuts in the potatoes close together (cuts should be ¼" or less)
- Flip it over and cut diagonal slices halfway through.
- Rinse the potatoes and place in cold water to prevent browning.
- Dry each potato slice and carefully slide the potato on the skewers
- Prepare the sauce in a small bowl with the melted butter, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Brush top and bottom of skewers with garlic butter sauce
- Bake for 20 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Halfway through baking, brush with another coat of the butter sauce.
- Bake another 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle potatoes with shredded parmesan.
What Should I Serve With Accordion Potatoes
Can You Freeze the Accordion Potatoes
You can also freeze cooked potatoes by sealing tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap in the freezer for about 1 week.
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes - Delicious potatoes in a comforting and classic casserole.
- Potato Wedges – Super easy to make and there are lots of varieties to this recipe.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes – A wonderful fall favorite that is more savory than sweet.
- Chorizo Potatoes – A flavorful twist on potatoes that is great for breakfast too!
- Scalloped Potatoes with Ham - A delicious and inexpensive meal idea that is so comforting!
- Twice Baked Potatoes - A delicious potatoes and cream cheese recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Parmesan Garlic Accordion Potato Skewers- The Crispy Potato TikTok Trend Equipment
Parchment lined baking sheet