This easy Homemade Cream of Celery Soup recipe is perfect for a hearty soup or as a substitute for condensed celery soup in recipes. I love that I can control the amount of sodium that canned soup has.
This easy recipe for homemade soup is great on its own or in a casserole. You can also add some additional toppings to this cream of celery soup recipe such as chives or cheese if you like. This recipe is super easy and I love to use it as a replacement for the canned version of soups that are called for in casseroles.
Hello Friends! How is your week going? We are enjoying welcoming spring this week!
Why This Recipe
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty cream soup to put together quickly. It is one of those soup recipes that you can build on and add fresh herbs and vegetables to it to change it up.
Making homemade cream of celery soup is not only a flavorful and filling soup on its own, but it also a perfect base for many other recipes. This creamy soup recipe is quick, easy, and delicious.
The result is a creamy, perfectly cooked comfort meal that is tasty and comforting without added preservatives. It’s one of my favorite recipes to use as a soup base.
This makes a great base for cream of broccoli soup or a potato cream soup.
This creamy celery soup just takes a few ingredients:
List of main ingredients:
Butter – I always suggest using real butter in recipes.
Flour – All purpose flour is what I use for this recipe.
Chicken Stock – You can use chicken broth or vegetable stock.
Cream, Milk or Half and Half – Your choice. Half and half adds a rich and creamy element to the soup. You can substitute the half and half with whole milk.
Chopped Celery – You will need to sauté the celery in a little bit of vegetable oil or olive oil before adding to the soup.
Spices – Garlic powder and onion power add a nice flavor to this soup recipe. Of course, salt and pepper are also included in this recipe.
How to make Homemade Cream of Celery Soup
Homemade Cream of Celery Soup
Cream of Celery Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup celery, cooked and chopped
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over a medium heat
- Add in flour and whisk together until well combined
- Add chicken stock and milk, whisk until smooth, about 1-2 minutes
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Bring to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken about 3-5 minutes
- Add in the chopped celery.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- You can make this recipe ahead, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
- For a more creamy texture, you can puree soup by running it through a food processor, blender or use an immersion blender.
- Use a quality whisk to blend the ingredients in the soup, it makes a difference.
- Be sure to stir the soup often and watch the temperature so that it doesn’t overcook.
- Consider doubling or tripling the recipe. These soups make so many great dishes and it is nice to have them on hand, ready to use.
- Add additional salt and pepper to the soup as you like. Everyone’s tastes are different and it is easy to add a bit more flavor.
FAQ for this Recipe
Can I Freeze Cream of Celery Soup?
Yes, you can freeze the soup in a freezer-safe container.
Can I Make Cream of Cclery Soup in a Crock-Pot?
Yes, you can absolutely make this recipe in the crockpot or slow cooker. This recipe is best cooked on low for 8-10 hours.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe.
We hope you loved this classic cream of celery soup recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book that can help you plan you meals with just a little extra effort, available on Amazon.