This Homemade Mushroom Soup is easy to make for a quick meal or for other recipes. This Campbell's Cream of mushroom soup copycat is perfect to make at home and comes together in minutes.Jump to Recipe
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty cream soup to put together quickly. It's a simple mushroom soup and only requires a few ingredients.
This recipe allows you to control the amount of sodium and preservatives and this recipe does not use cream, but half and half or milk, making it a little healthier.
Making homemade cream of mushroom soup is not only a flavorful and filling soup on its own, but it also a perfect base for many other recipes. This cream soup recipe is quick, easy, and delicious.
The result is a creamy, perfectly cooked comfort meal that is tasty and comforting.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Butter – I always suggest using real butter in recipes.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is what I use for this recipe.
- Chicken Stock – You can use chicken broth or stock. In a pinch, you can use a chicken bouillon cube mixed with water.
- Half and Half - Half and half adds a rich and creamy element to the soup. You can substitute the half and half with whole milk. I used to make this recipe with heavy cream, but honestly, it tastes great with half and half with less calories
- Mushrooms - I use Portobella or Cremini mushrooms for this recipe
- Spices - Garlic powder and onion power add a nice flavor to this soup recipe. Of course, salt and pepper are alsi included in this recipe.
See recipe card for quantities.
The full recipe instructions for crumbl copycat recipe are in the recipe card, below but here is a step by step overview of the recipe
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour and blend in with a whisk. Add broth.
Add half and half to melted butter mixture.
Add seasonings and spices.
Substitutions & Variations
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Chicken - Add ½ cup of chopped, cooked chicken for a lovely chicken and mushroom soup.
- Types of Mushrooms- Easily change up the flavor using shiitaki or a blend of other types of mushrooms. Be sure to sauté them before adding to the soup.
- Vegetarian - use vegetable stock instead of chicken
- Large saucepan or stock pot
- cutting board
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days.
- You can make this recipe ahead, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Use a quality whisk to blend the ingredients in the soup, it makes a difference.
- Be sure to stir the soup often and watch the temperature so that it doesn't overcook.
- Consider doubling or tripling the recipe. These soups make so many great dishes and it is nice to have them on hand, ready to use.
- Add additional salt and pepper to the soup as you like. Everyone's tastes are different and it is easy to add a bit more flavor.
Yes, you can freeze the soup in a freezer-safe container
Yes, you can absolutely make this recipe in the crockpot or slow cooker. This recipe is best cooked on low for 8-10 hours.
More Easy Cream Soup Recipes
Cream of Celery Soup a nice creamy soup that is perfect as a base too!
Cream of Chicken Soup - Another great copycat condensed soup recipe.
Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening
Roasted Pumpkin Soup - A lovely creamy soup for the season.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Campbells Copycat
- ½ cup 1 stick butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup Mushrooms sliced and sauteed
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over a medium-low heat
- Add in flour and whisk together until well combined
- Add chicken stock and milk, whisk until smooth, about 1-2 minutes
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
- Bring to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes
- Add in any sautéed mushrooms.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Leave a Reply