If you're craving hearty and comfort, this Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings recipe is perfection and easily made with canned biscuits. What better way to kick up your feet and relax than with a giant bowl of slow cooker chicken and dumplings.
When we're feeling exhausted at the end of a long week, this easy crockpot chicken and dumplings always brings a smile to our faces and a warmth to our bellies. One bowl is never, ever enough.Jump to Recipe
WHY THIS RECIPE
There's just something classic and simple about dumplings. And since this recipe uses instant biscuits to make the biscuit dumplings, it takes minimal time and effort to cook. I also love that I can just add the ingredients and let the crockpot take over as well.
Crockpot recipes save time. Less work for me in the kitchen is always a good idea!This great recipe makes a complete meal in a slow cooker.
Making this easy recipe reminds me that good food doesn't have to be complicated. And judging from the empty bowls that are always remaining, I think it's a safe that this is one of those comfort food recipes that will soon be a family favorite.
This delicious crockpot recipe tastes like a heartwarming casserole. A simple crockpot chicken recipe that is creamy and delicious with a comforting flavor.
INGREDIENTS FOR CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Onion, diced - Use whatever type of onion you'd like here.
Chicken breasts - boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can also use other cuts of chicken, and leftover chicken too.
Garlic powder - Don't confuse with garlic salt.
Cream of chicken soup - You can use low sodium soup here as well.
Chicken broth - Low sodium chicken stock is a great option, too.
Instant (canned) biscuit dough - I use grands biscuits
Frozen peas and carrots - If you have other frozen veggies, you can add them in, too.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN & DUMPLING RECIPE
- Add onion, chicken breasts, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, chicken broth, and cream of chicken soup to the crockpot.
- Cook chicken mixture on HIGH for 4 hours. Once cooked, remove the lid carefully.
- Using a fork, shred chicken by moving your fork around in a circular motion.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and stir. Chop biscuits up and layer across the top of the chicken. Cook on HIGH for another 2 hours. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- If you overcook during the second half, the biscuits can begin to brown or burn against the side
of the crockpot.
- All crockpots/slower cookers do not heat the same. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the pot. If at the 4-hour mark you need to add more liquid, do so, to avoid burning later.
- You can also make this with rotisserie chicken and save time. It's one of my favorite slow cooker recipes to use it in.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Can you freeze crockpot chicken and dumplings?
You can. Just make certain that you add your leftovers to a freezer-safe container or bag and it should be fine. There is a chance that the texture will be altered a bit once you unthaw to enjoy but it shouldn't affect the flavor or taste at all.
What are good side dish options for crockpot dumplings with chicken?
Since this is a hearty meal, a nice side salad or even a small bowl of cottage cheese are great options or additions for dinner. The lighter, the better!
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES AND CROCKPOT MEALS
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes - Simple way to cook up potatoes!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili - One of my favorite chili recipes!
Mexican Chicken Soup - A little bit of spice.
Easy Orange Chicken - A tasty at-home dinner.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice - A delicious chicken and rice casserole dish made in the pressure cooker.
CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- ½ onion, diced
- 2-3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 14 0z cans chicken broth
- 1 can instant biscuits
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen peas and carrots
- Add onion, chicken breasts, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, chicken broth and cream of chicken soup to the crockpot.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, remove lid carefully.Using a fork, shred the chicken by moving your fork around in a circular motion.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and stir.
- Chop biscuits up and layer across the top of the chicken.
- Cook on HIGH for another 2 hours. Serve warm and enjoy
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
I hope you enjoyed this easy crock pot chicken recipe! It's an easy easy comfort food recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
There is nothing like a good crockpot recipe. And chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites!