A delicious Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe that comes together easily in a snap. This chicken broccoli and mushroom casserole is made easily in your instant pot and is perfect for busy weeknights.
We are all about simple recipes and easy dinners here on Organized Island, and this easy instant pot rice and chicken casserole makes for a dinner idea I think you and the whole family will love.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- The result is a delicious, hearty casserole that is ready in about 30 minutes. This tasty instant pot chicken and broccoli recipe can be modified easily by changing up the vegetables and it is perfect for busy weeknights.
- This recipe is very versatile. You can make this casserole ahead of time too!
- The result is a broccoli rice casserole that can easily be a new family favorite. Made with simple ingredients and loaded flavor for a complete meal in a pot. The best part is that you can customize it with your choice of veggies and protein.
- This all in one delicious chicken and rice dish is on the lighter side and does not use cream of mushroom soup.
- This easy dinner recipe is a great way to use chicken when it goes on sale.
- This broccoli, mushroom and chicken fried rice is made in the instant pot for a fast and super easy one-pot meal.
This easy meal makes a nice casserole to share with others, either at a potluck or as a dinner care package.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken - I like to use boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders. You can also use chicken thighs.
- Rice - You can use long grain rice or Jasmine rice.
- Onion - I use yellow or white onion
- Chicken stock or chicken broth Soy Sauce - you can use a low-sodium soy sauce or regular
- Salt & Black Pepper
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- instant pot electric pressure cooker
- slotted spoon
How to Make Rice and Broccoli casserole
- Rinse the rice 3-4 times or until the water runs clear. Set aside. Set the instant pot on the SAUTE function.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil. Add the egg and scramble it. Take it out and set it aside.
- Next, add the remaining oil and add in the chicken pieces, sauté it for a few minutes until the chicken changes colour from pink to white. Take the chicken out and set it aside. Add in the chopped onions and garlic and sauté it for a minute or two until the onion turns light brown. Add a little chicken stock and deglaze the pot by stirring properly so that the food does not stick to the bottom of the pot. ·
- Add the carrots and mushrooms
- Then add the rice, chicken and broccoli florets. Mix well. ·
- Add the chicken stock. CANCEL the SAUTE button. Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE for 6 minutes. (Make sure the valve is in SEALING position). ·Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, quick-release pressure by manually moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING position. ·Open the lid carefully and select the CANCEL button. ·
Select the SAUTE button and add in salt, pepper, soy sauce, rice vinegar, red chili sauce, peas and scrambled egg, sauté everything in the rice for a few seconds. · Cancel the SAUTE button.
Full instructions in recipe card.
The result is a delicious dinner! Serve hot and enjoy.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- Be careful when handling the hot chicken.
- Cooking time may vary slightly depending on size of pot.
- You can use rotisserie chicken for this recipe.
- These make a great packable lunch option if refrigerated.
Chicken and Rice Recipe Variations, Notes and Substitutions
- Change up the vegetables - try adding green beans or chopped mini peppers.
- You can use gluten-free soy sauce in place of regular soy sauce.
- Vegetable broth may be substituted for chicken broth.
Serving, Storage & Leftover Suggestions
You can store leftover chicken and rice in an airtight container for 4 days in the refrigerator or around 4 months in the freezer.
Can I make this Ahead of Time?
Absolutely, this is a great recipe to make ahead.
Can I use Brown Rice for this recipe?
For best results, use white rice. I have not tried this recipe with brown rice. Brown rice typically takes longer to cook than white rice.
What Should I Serve With This?
This hearty meal can be a whole dinner on its own, but the casserole goes great with fresh vegetables or dinner rolls. I like to serve it with a little dollop of sour cream.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 cup long grain rice or Jasmine rice
- ½ pound chicken cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ cup carrots chopped
- ¼ cup peas
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon red chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Rinse the rice 3-4 times or until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Set the instant pot on the SAUTE function. Add 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add egg and scramble it. Take it out and set it aside.
- ·Next add the remaining oil and add in the chicken pieces, sauté it for a few minutes until the chicken changes colour from pink to white.
- Take it out and set it aside.
- Add in the chopped onions and garlic and sauté it for a minute or two until the onion turns light brown.
- Add a little chicken stock and deglaze the pot by stirring properly so not any food is stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add carrots, mushrooms followed by rice, chicken and broccoli florets. Mix properly.
- Add the chicken stock.
- CANCEL the SAUTE button. Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE for 6 minutes. (Make sure the valve is in SEALING position).
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, quick-release pressure by manually moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING position.
- Open the lid carefully and select the CANCEL button.
- Select the SAUTE button and add in salt, pepper, soy sauce, rice vinegar, red chilli sauce, peas and scrambled egg, sauté everything in the rice for a few seconds.
- Cancel the SAUTE button.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share great recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here. I will email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!