This easy Chili Relleno Casserole with Ground Beef is perfect for a fall dinner or breakfast casserole. Green chilis, eggs, and cheese come together in a delicious make-ahead meal.
One thing I love about this recipe is that it can be changed up by adding other flavors quite easily. Always a hit year after year. Be sure to check out my recipes for Pesto Meatballs, Deconstructed Lasagna and Skillet Spaghetti for more easy weeknight dinner recipes.
A new month has just begun! We just got back from a little road trip and it was so fun to see the changing colors of the season. Where we live, we do not see a lot of changes, but I did get a chance to take in some beautiful seasonal colors this weekend. This is prime casserole season and today I am sharing a fun favorite.
Today’s Chill Relleno Casserole recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty make-ahead casserole. This time of year, I love cheesy, rich casseroles and this one does not dissapoint.
I have had this recipe for years and from time to time I change it up by adding bacon or changing up the cheese, but it is always so tasty!
For more great casserole recipes ideas, check out:
- Sloppy Joe Casserole - An old school favorite in casserole form. Perfect for a warm dinner!
- Baked Zucchini Casserole – an economical and delicious recipe incorporating zucchini.
- Easy Chili Relleno with tomatoes Recipe – A delicious casserole with all the goodness of Chili Rellenos
- Greek Chicken Casserole - Vegetables, chicken and Mediterranean flavor come together is this easy casserole!
- Chicken Egg Noodle casserole. - a family favorite and so comforting!
Nothing tastes better on a cold day than a bubbling casserole!
This recipe comes together with just a few main ingredients:
Eggs– I like to use large Grade A eggs.
Green Chili – You will use the can vairiety but make sure you get Whole Green Chilis and not the ones that are chopped or diced.
Cheese – I’m partial to Cheddar cheese for this recipe, but you can use a blend of Cheddar and Monterey Jack if you like.
How to make Chili Relleno Casserole
The full recipe follows, but here are the major steps. It is like layering a lasagna.
- Start with sliced green chilies.
- Top with teh cheeese.
- Add ground beef.
- Pour milk mixture and repeat.
Be sure to bookmark this recipe.
Chili Relleno Casserole with Ground Beef
Chili Relleno Casserole with Ground Beef
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teasppon seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 /4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 1 4 oz can Whole green chilies
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 °
2. Brown ground beef and chopp3e onion in skillet. Drain.
3. Add seasonings to the meat and set aside.
4. Slice chilies and cut them into about 1 ½" squares.
5. Arrange chili pieces in 9x13 baking dish
6. Top with half the cheese and all of the ground beef.
- 7.Add a layer of chilies and top with remaining cheese.
8. Mix eggs, milk, and flour in a blow and blend well. Pour over casserole and top with remaining cheese.
Bake 45-60 minutes. Serve with salsa if desired.
- You can make the casserole the day before and jus tpour egg mixture over when ready to make.
- Shred the cheese ahead of time and store in the refrigerator or buy already shredded cheese.
- You can also freeze this casserole. I recommend freezing indifitual portions.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.