This Easy Recipe for Hot Chocolate Mix makes the perfect gift this season! It is also a great make-ahead recipe so that you can whip up a hot chocolate in no time!
It’s hot chocolate season and this Hot chocolate mix recipe is not only incredibly easy, but it is also delicious too! We like it better than swiss miss. This is also a great idea if you are looking to make holiday gifts.
“Tis the season to give to friends and family. Today I am sharing a fun recipe for Hot Chocolate mix that you can make for yourself or give to friends.
Why You Will Love This Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
- This is really easy to make ahead and then enjoy by adding a little hot water or hot milk for a steaming cup of cocoa.
- This recipe just requires 4 ingredients and you control what is in it without preservatives and artificial flavoring.
- A hot mug of hot chocolate is the perfect way to warm up on a cold day.
- This mix makes a great inexpensive holiday gift idea for friends and family. It is also great for co-worker gifts.
- This fun recipe idea makes a wonderful, rich hot chocolate whenever you want it. Great for older kids to make their own cocoa too! Fun for a hot chocolate bar!
All you need are a few ingredients to make your own hot chocolate mix. This recipe is not only great to make hot chocolate, you can also use it for cookies and brownies too!
Ingredients For Make Ahead Hot Chocolate Mix
Cocoa Powder –The star of the show and you will want to use unsweetened cocoa powder for best results.
Sugar – I use white sugar and powdered sugar for this recipe. It makes a rich and creamy hot cocoa mix.
Powdered Milk – I use nonfat dry milk powder, but you can use whole milk powder. I find mine at the coffee section of my grocery store. I use real milk for a nice blend. If someone you know has a milk allergy, you can omit it and have the recipient add a substitute (like coconut milk) when making the mix.
How To Make Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
First, you sift the powdered sugar and dried milk into a large bowl.
Then sift the cocoa powder.
Blend together and place in a mason jar or other sealed container.
To make hot cocoa, add ⅓ cup of mix in a mug, stir in 1 cup warm milk, add toppings of your choice
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe
Hot Chocolate Mix
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- You can make this soup and double the recipe so that you will have extra.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can add any of the following to change it up a bit.½ cup chocolate chips, white, milk or semi-sweet
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or marshmallows.
- top with mini chocolate chips or crushed candy canes.
- Store in a mason jar or airtight container. If giving as gifts, you can put the hot cocoa mixes in small sealable jars or in food-safe cellophane bags. I find the cocoa mix will last about 5-6 months in your cupboard.
- If giving as gifts, be sure to include instructions and ingredient lists.
Today’s recipe is not only a great pantry prep ahead recipe, but it is also a wonderful gift idea any time of year. For more great hot chocolate recipes ideas, check out:
- Slow Cooker Hoy Chocolate – Let the sweet smell of hot cocoa warm your home!
- Nutella Hot Chocolate– Hot chocolate with the wonderful flavor of hazelnut!
- Best Hot Chocolate – My favorite stovetop hot chocolate recipe.
- White Hot Chocolate – A wonderful White Chocolate version of hot cocoa.
- Hot Vanilla Milk – Delicious warm drink made without chocolate.
More Homemade Gift Ideas
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups instant dry milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, sift powdered sugar
- Sift instant dry milk on top of powdered sugar
- Sift cocoa powder on top
- Whisk together and add granulated sugar until well combined.
- Store in airtight container or jar for up to 3 months.
- To make hot cocoa, add ⅓ cup of mix in a mug, stir in 1 cup warm milk, add toppings of your choice
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.