This Easy Recipe for Hot Chocolate Mix makes the perfect gift this season! It is also a great make-ahead recipe so that you can whip up a hot chocolate in no time!
It's hot chocolate season and this Hot chocolate mix recipe is not only incredibly easy, but it is also delicious too! We like it better than swiss miss. Homemade hot chocolate with cocoa powder is easy to make and tasty.
Why You Will Love This Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
- This is really easy to make ahead and then enjoy by adding a little hot water or hot milk for a steaming cup of cocoa.
- This recipe just requires 4 ingredients and you control what is in it without preservatives and artificial flavoring.
- A hot mug of hot chocolate is the perfect way to warm up on a cold day.
- This mix makes a great inexpensive holiday gift idea for friends and family.
- Hot chocolate Mix in a jar also great for co-worker gifts.
- This fun recipe idea makes a wonderful, rich hot chocolate whenever you want it. Great for older kids to make their own cocoa too! Fun for a hot chocolate bar!
Ingredients For This Recipe
All you need are a few ingredients to make your own hot chocolate mix. This recipe is not only great to make hot chocolate, you can also use it for cookies and brownies too!
Cocoa Powder –The star of the show and you will want to use unsweetened cocoa powder for best results.
Sugar – I use white sugar and powdered sugar for this recipe. It makes a rich and creamy hot cocoa mix.
Powdered Milk - I use nonfat dry milk powder, but you can use whole milk powder. I find mine at the coffee section of my grocery store. I use real milk for a nice blend. If someone you know has a milk allergy, you can omit it and have the recipient add a substitute (like coconut milk) when making the mix.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
How To Make Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
First, you sift the powdered sugar and dried milk into a large bowl.
Then sift the cocoa powder.
Blend together and place in a mason jar or other sealed container.
To make hot cocoa, add ⅓ cup of mix in a mug, stir in 1 cup warm milk, add toppings of your choice
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- You can make this soup and double the recipe so that you will have extra.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can add any of the following to change it up a bit.½ cup chocolate chips, white, milk or semi-sweet
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or marshmallows.
- top with mini chocolate chips or crushed candy canes.
- Store in a mason jar or airtight container. If giving as gifts, you can put the hot cocoa mixes in small sealable jars or in food-safe cellophane bags. I find the cocoa mix will last about 5-6 months in your cupboard.
- If giving as gifts, be sure to include instructions and ingredient lists.
Today’s recipe is not only a great pantry prep ahead recipe, but it is also a wonderful gift idea any time of year. For more great hot chocolate recipes ideas, check out:
- Slow Cooker Hoy Chocolate - Let the sweet smell of hot cocoa warm your home!
- Nutella Hot Chocolate– Hot chocolate with the wonderful flavor of hazelnut!
- Best Hot Chocolate – My favorite stovetop hot chocolate recipe.
- White Hot Chocolate – A wonderful White Chocolate version of hot cocoa.
- Hot Vanilla Milk – Delicious warm drink made without chocolate.
More Homemade Gift Ideas
If you love this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups instant dry milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, sift powdered sugar
- Sift instant dry milk on top of powdered sugar
- Sift cocoa powder on top
- Whisk together and add granulated sugar until well combined.
- Store in airtight container or jar for up to 3 months.
- To make hot cocoa, add ⅓ cup of mix in a mug, stir in 1 cup warm milk, add toppings of your choice
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Hello! This is such a great small gift idea! I was looking for a small gift idea for the college kids in my family and I think they would really enjoy this.
I just want to point out that under the description of cocoa powder, it talks about pears and under the description of sugar it talks about baby arugula.
Thank you for the gift idea!
Thanks Chloe! Good catch and I updated the verbiage. Appreciate you letting me know! 🙂
Ah, seems easy enough! And I love the variations too. YUM. I love hot cocoa these days.
What a great food gift idea. Perfect as a stocking stuffer. Awesome teacher gift. Don't forget to make some for yourself too!!
I love giving homemade gifts and this is the perfect idea for the season! Maybe even a gift to myself - I'll add a bit of Irish cream to the final product. Yum!
Every year I make hot chocolate mix and give it to my friends as a Christmas gift. I'll try your recipe this year. Thanks for sharing.