Skillet Spaghetti is one of those dishes I have been making since my first year of marriage! It is a simple one-dish dinner that combines spaghetti, meat and sauce all in a single dish!
This easy meal idea goes perfectly with our Ultimate Cheesy Garlic bread. Be sure to read our time-saving tips at the end of this recipe. We area all about helping you make the most of your time. Be sure to check out my recipes for Pesto Meatballs, Deconstructed Lasagna and Skillet Spaghetti for more easy weeknight dinner recipes.
Why This Recipe
This easy one pan spaghetti is a wonderful go to for a weeknight dinner. Made with a few simple ingredients and made on your stove top in about 30 minutes. The pasta cooks in the sauce so it makes for easy clean up too!
I have change this one pot meal recipe a bit over the years, but I still love that I can whip up a spaghetti meal in a single skillet saving lots of time (and some dish washing too)!
It comes together in minutes and I make mine with ground beef or ground chuck. You can also use ground turkey too! It is a great recipe for any night of the week.
How To Make Skillet One Pot Spaghetti
You make the spaghetti sauce first over medium-high heat.
It starts with browning the ground beef.
Then add the uncooked spaghetti and cook it in the sauce on the stove.
About 20 minutes later, this pasta in a pan comes together for a wonderful meal!
Ingredients for Skillet Spaghetti Recipe
- ground beef - I use an 80/20% lean ground beef
- tomato sauce
- uncooked spaghetti noodles - I use regular spaghetti noodles, but you can use thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta if you like.
- spices and seasonings
- Parmesan cheese
Equipment and Kitchen Tools
- large skillet or cast iron skillet (Skillet should be at least a 10 inch skillet, 12 is even better) with a lid
- pot strainer
- wooden spoon
- pasta server
I love that I can make the sauce and noodles in one pot in about 30 minutes. So easy and the meat sauce is hearty and flavorful.
How do you like your spaghetti?
If you love skillet meals like I do, be sure to check out my Skillet Lasagna!
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts for Skillet Pasta
- I like to chop onions on Sunday so that they are ready to go later during the week. I keep them in a sealed bag in the refrigerator and it saves me time by not having to chop onions several times a week.
- You can easily double this recipe but you will need to use a larger pot instead of a skillet.
- You can use fresh basil if you have it.
To double this recipe, use a large, deep skillet or stockpot and the following ingredients and follow the recipe above:
2 pounds ground beef
½ cup onions
2 ½ 8 oz cans tomato sauce
3 ½ cups water
2 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons parsley
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
pinch of red crushed pepper
8 ounces of spaghetti noodles
Here are a few photos of a larger pot.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for ground beef.
- Be sure to push the noodles under the sauce before covering.
- Try not to lift the cover of the spaghetti until closer to the end time for best results.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. I like to top mine with a few sprigs of parsley.
- This easy dinner goes great with some bread and a salad.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For more great pasta recipes, check out:
- Baked Zucchini Casserole – Ground beef and zucchini make this a lovely make-ahead meal.
- Pesto Meatballs and Spaghetti - Another easy, flavorful meal idea.
- Taco Pasta - A fan favorite here on the island. It has been saved over 7000 times.
- One Pot Beef Pasta - Another tasty and easy weeknight dinner
- Chicken Bacon Gouda Pasta – if you love Gouda cheese, you will love this recipe!
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup onions
- 1 ⅓ 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- pinch of red crushed pepper
- 4 ounces of spaghetti noodles ½ of an 8 oz package
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onions until meat is browned.
- Drain oil from beef mixture.
- To same pan with drained meat, add tomato sauce, water and spices.
- Once mixture begins to boil, break apart spaghetti noodles in half and add to mixture.
- Push the spaghetti noodles with a wooden spoon under the sauce before covering.
- Cover pan and reduce to simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- Pasta should be al dente.
We hope you enjoyed this quick meal idea. For more great main dish recipes, subscribe to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share simple recipes for quick meals and a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
This sounds and looks soooo delicious! I make spaghetti the old school way. Boil the water, chunk in the noodles, then add ground beef and sauce. However, I do use a skillet to reheat the leftovers. You know, fried spaghetti. Oh that is some serious yumminess!
Thanks for sharing! Pinned it!
Old school is good to Brenda, but this makes for a quick meal. Thanks for the Pin! XO
I haven't made spaghetti in a skillet, but it looks really good - and easy 🙂
I hope you try it Ashley! It is really good!
Love this idea for a weeknight meal---only one pan to clean is a huge bonus! Plus, it looks like a crowd pleaser!!!
Thanks Liz - it really saves time in the kitchen. 🙂
Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy
I've been all about one pot dishes lately and this one looks absolutely fabulous!!
Thank you Jennifer! It really is a nice quick dinner idea. Thanks for stopping by!
Nothing's better than homemade spaghetti nights!! A favorite in our household. David makes the best pasta dishes too... I grew up on these nights and they hold lots of memories.
Cheers for homemade spaghetti nights Jamie! Goes nicely with a glass of red too! 🙂
Rose | RoseBakes.com
I need to add this to our recipe rotation! Looks delicious Raquel! xx
Thank you Rose!
YUM! I love spaghetti and have never made it in a skillet. Plus.. I love sauce and meat.
Thanks Tamara! It's a heartwarming meal for sure!
I could eat this every day! Looks amazing. I never tried it in the skillet. YUMMY!
Thanks Debbie! It's a keeper and I have been making it for years.
This is genius! I have to try it!
Made this tonight - forgot picture - have one kid only eats hamburger helper spaghetti- this recipe passed her & now this is our family spaghetti. Everyone loved it. Thank you 😀
So happy she loved it Susan! Thank you for rating!
I will never buy hamburger helper spaghetti ever again nor will I purchase spaghetti sauce. Finally getting around to giving a comment (sorry). Have made this so many times THANK YOU THANK YOU. No leftovers with this recipe.
In the recipe it does not state what size can of tomato sauce? And I know this sounds terrible but could someone double this recipe for me I know it most of it will be doubled but not some of it
Thanks for visiting. We use 8 oz cans of tomato sauce. We have received a few requests to double this so it is listed at the bottom of the page. Have a great day!