I am sharing a few pantry organization ideas that I have found to be helpful over the years. The pantry is just one of those high-traffic areas that needs a routine check every once in a while. I try to reorganize mine about every six months or so.
You may remember a few years back, my pantry looked like this:
There was not much in terms of organization here and it was difficult to even know what was in my pantry. There were duplicates and expired items and I am not even sure what was in the back because you could not get to things back there.
Once I reorganized and decluttered the kitchen pantry, it was so much easier to maintain. I clean it out twice a year (July and January) and I have found that the following tips have helped me maintain order.
Pantry Storage Tips
- Start by taking items out and sorting like items together. It really helps to take everything out if you have not organized in a while.
- Put some motivating music on to help you get excited about moving food around.
- Look at expiration dates for EVERYTHING. Somehow, time moves at an amazing speed when it comes to pantry items. Throw out anything past its expiration date or anything that looks funny.
- Wipe down all shelves and sides. Consider using paper liner so that you can protect the pantry shelves.
- Keep like items together. Store newer items in the back if they are duplicates so you will use the older one first.
- Use storage boxes for opened packages of pasta, baking chips or nuts. It will keep them from sliding around and possibly opening and spilling everywhere.
- Store marinade and seasoning packets in a little tiered box. It makes it easier to see what you have and grab and go when you need it.
- Use lazy Susans (not sure why they are called that) to access bottles and jars of items that might be a bit sticky. This goes for marinades, syrups, honey etc.
- Store items in smaller containers when possible. They will take less space and make it easier to identify when you are running low.
- Keep track of items you are running low on and items that will expire soon. I list items that will expire soon on a Pantry Inventory List. I find that it really helps me not by duplicates when I do not intend to and helps to use up food instead of wasting it.
Click here for your ==> Free Pantry Inventory Printable.
Now my pantry stays organized longer and I can find things easily when I need them.
Be sure to check out the other projects from bloggers as party of Organization Week. There are so many helpful tips!
Check out these great cleaning and organizing ideas:
SUNDAY - CLEAN AND ORGANIZATION PRINTABLES
Fresh Idea Studio | Decor Adventures
MONDAY - CLEANING TIPS & RECIPES
TUESDAY - KITCHEN ORGANIZATION AND DIY PROJECTS
Postcards from the Ridge | H2O Bungalow
WEDNESDAY - BATHROOM ORGANIZATION AND DIY PROJECTS
The Silly Pearl | Cleverly Inspired
THURSDAY - LAUNDRY ROOM ORGANIZATION AND DIY PROJECTS
The Interior Frugalista | Setting for Four
FRIDAY - PANTRY & LINEN CLOSET ORGANIZATION AND DIY PROJECTS
What are your best tips for organizing your pantry?