This Easy Baked Zucchini Casserole is one I have been making for years. Made with fresh zucchini and ground beef with just enough spice to make a wonderful dinner idea.
We love cooking with zucchini and the prices for zucchini are great this time of year. This recipe nicely incorporates zucchini and squash for a colorful dinner idea!
Casseroles are so underrated and I love them! While they are popular in the fall and winter, I believe they are good any time of year. They are especially great for preparing ahead of time and warming up later.
They are also great when you have family members home at different times and need to warm up their dinner later. Everyone can get their own serving of pasta with zucchini and warm it up in minutes.
What I also like is that this casserole does not have canned soup in it. While I certainly do not mind canned soup, I feel that a lot of dishes made with some soups tend to taste similar after a while and they contain more sodium than I would like. You can make this recipe with either green or yellow squash or, both to make it colorful.
Ingredients for this recipe:
Ground Beef – I like to a 90% lean ground beef, but you can use one with a little more fat too.
Zucchini – I like to use a mix of zucchini and banana squash for color, but either works fabulously!
Pasta – I like to use small or medium shells for this recipe because the little shells embrace the cheesy sauce and meat. You can use other types of small pasta as well.
You basically, just ground the meat,
Saute, the squash and then layer the casserole.
And bake it in your oven.
It will be a favorite and will encourage you go grow your own zucchini.
If you are looking for other hamburger casserole recipes, be sure to check out this one. For more zucchini recipes, that are quick and simple see these:
- Ground Beef Pasta – This easy Ground Beef Pasta dinner is one of those easy comfort meals you can make on your stovetop.
- Easy Cavatappi Pasta – A fun twist on pasta made with ground beef and vegetables.
- Taco Pasta with Ground Beef -This One Pot Taco Pasta with Ground Beef comes together quickly in a single skillet!
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe!
Baked Zucchini Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2-31 zucchini's (green, yellow)
- 3 tablespoon chopped onions
- 2 cups small shell pasta or similar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilis
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese.
1.Cook ground beef and chopped onions over medium heat in skillet until brown. Drain.
2. Cook shell pasta as directed and drain. Set aside.
3. While beef and pasta are cooking, slice the squash into 1/4" slices.
4. Saute squash in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. In a bowl mix together green chilis, sour cream, and cilantro.
6. Add ground beef, pasta, zucchini/squash, and sour cream mixture to the casserole dish.
7. Stir together gently until blended and top with cheese.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 25g
More delicious Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini and Tomatoes Recipe – Sauteed in minutes on your stovetop.
- Zucchini Boats. Made with ground beef, a tomato-based sauce, and cheese, these are delicious and flavorful!
- Tomato and Zucchini Salad – super easy to make,
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread – moist and buttery and full of summer goodness.
This zucchini baked noodle dish is one of my favorite zucchini casserole recipes. I adapted in from a Betty Crocker recipe a couple of decades ago. Gosh, that sounds so long ago!
Be sure to pin this baked zucchini casserole for later!
What is your favorite casserole?