This is an easy Sautéed zucchini and tomatoes recipe that makes for an delicious and simple side dish for a BBQ, lunch, or dinner. Fresh zucchini, tomatoes, and onions come together for a wonderful healthy side dish.
We make this year-round, but this zucchini tomato dish is especially great in the late summer when zucchini is at its peak. It is one of my favorite ways to enjoy zucchini.
Why this Recipe?
It is perfect for a dinner following a trip to the farmers' market. You can also substitute banana squash for Italian squash. This dish is also very versatile and goes with meat, fish, seafood or even as a tasty dish by itself over rice.
Delicious - This easy sautéed zucchini makes a delicious summer side dish.
Low Carb - A great way to incorporate vegetables for a healthy side dish.
Easy Recipe- All you need is a little olive oil, a few simple seasonings and these vegetables. It is a family favorite and really easy to make with just 5 ingredients.
Sautéed Zucchini and Tomatoes Ingredients
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Fresh Tomatoes - you can use roma tomatoes, one he vine, or grape tomeatoes or cherry tomatoes
- Fresh Zucchini - cut into bite size pieces
- Red Onions
- Fresh Basil
- salt and black pepper
this easy side dish comes together in a skillet on hour stovetop in just minutes.
How to Make Zucchini Tomato Sauté
- Chop zucchini and onions after washing. Cut up tomatoes and set them aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add zucchini
- Add tomatoes.
- Add onions and sprinkle with basil and salt. Serve immediately
This zucchini recipe perfect side dish for all seasons. Sometimes I cut the zucchini in rounds just to change it up. You can also add a little Parmesan cheese on top if you like.
- Use a large non-stick skillet pan for easy clean up
- Cut up the vegetables ahead of time.
- Slice the zucchini evenly: Slice the zucchini into even rounds or lengthwise strips, about ¼ to ½ inch thick. This will ensure that they cook evenly.
More Easy Zucchini Recipes
- Baked Zucchini Casserole is one I have been making for years. Made with fresh zucchini and ground beef with just enough spice to make a wonderful dinner idea.
- Zucchini Boats. Made with ground beef, a tomato-based sauce, and cheese, these are delicious and flavorful!
- Tomato and Zucchini Salad - super easy to make,
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread - moist and buttery and full of summer goodness.
What to Serve with this Easy Side Dish
This recipe goes fantastic with chicken, pork chops and seafood.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe
Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes Recipe
Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes
- large skillet or large sauté pan
- 2-3 zucchini squash sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 2 medium tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil
- 1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- 2. Slice zucchini and chop tomatoes and onion.
- 3. Add zucchini to the heated pan for about 2-4 minutes or until squash becomes tender.
- 4. Add chopped onion and stir.
- 5. Add tomato and stir the vegetables. Cook an additional 2 minutes until tomatoes are warmed through.
- 6. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil.
You can save time by prepping the vegetables and storing in your refrigerator until ready to use.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share lots of recipes and a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Hi There. I'm stopping by from SITS. This seems like a perfect recipe that is healthy, looks delicious and is fast. I am always looking for quick healthy things to eat during the week when I don't have a lot of time. I can't wait to give it a try.
Thank you for stopping by Robin. Love the inspiration of your blog on living a balanced life!
Stephanie Glover (@mrsgloves)
That looks yummy! I am going to have to try it.
Stopping by from SITS.
Julie Jordan Scott (@juliejordanscot)
Oh easy and yummy and they grow so well... maybe I'll start some this year after all!
I'm happy to be visiting you from the SITS forum!
Oh YUM! Thanks for sharing!
Susie at Earning-My-Cape
That looks yummy and easy! I am totally going to try it! 🙂
I hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by Susie!
This is perfect--thanks for sharing your easy recipe!