This Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe is made with fresh blueberries and a few simple ingredients. It has a light, golden brown sugar streusel topping and makes a wonderful dessert or morning snack.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This coffee cake has a delicate crumb topping that is perfect for any coffee cake. It is the perfect way to celebrate blueberry season.
This recipe is made with simple ingredients and only takes a few minutes to put together
This classic coffee cake with juicy blueberries is a great recipe for a brunch, breakfast or for a tea party dessert. It is also great with a cup of coffee or in a lunch box.
Ingredients For Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Flour - I use all purpose flour
Milk - I used a 2% but whole milk works too.
Butter - You will need butter for the batter and the topping.
Lemon juice - use real lemon juice not the bottle kind.
Blueberries - use fresh berries for best result
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- spoon or electric mixer
- pastry cutter
- square baking pan or oblong pan
How to Make Coffee Cake
Step By Step Instructions
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg and ½ cup milk.
- Combine flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Carefully blend blueberries.
- Pour batter into a baking pan. Dough will be more like dough rather than than cake batter.
- Prepare streusel mixture in a small bowl.Top the entire cake batter with streusel.
- Bake as directed.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- I use salted butter, but you can if you use unsalted, add ½ teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.
- Use softened butter for easy blending of the coffee cake, but use cold butter for the topping for best results.
- You can use a fork in the place of a pastry cutter. It takes a little longer but it works. Sometimes I use two forks together,
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute cranberries for the blueberries to change up the coffee cake.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze Blueberry Coffee Cake?
Yes, Let the cake cool completely. Cut the cake into individual slices, then wrap each one in plastic wrap then place them in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
Do I Need To Refrigerate Coffee Cake?
You can leave the coffee cake out if eaten in a day or two, otherwise cover and refrigerate for about 6-7 days.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
More Breakfast Bread Recipes
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter/margarine softened
- 1 t grated lemon peel
- 2 cups blueberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Grease a cake or square baking pan.
- In a bowl mix flour and baking powder. Set aside
- In a large bowl, add egg and sugar.
- Add milk and lemon juice.
- Add the blueberries and stir gently.
- Pour the coffee cake batter into cake pan.
- Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix topping ingredient until crumbly.
- Grease cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Spread streusel mixture on top of the batter from edge to edge of pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you enjoyed this easy moist coffee cake recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here.
I share easy recipes to celebrate the season and e a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!