This Streusel Coffee Cake recipe is decades old! It is also known as the Bisquick Coffee Cake and it is made simply with a baking mix sugar, and milk, then baked with a crumbly streusel topping for a delicious dessert cake.
This is one of those shortcut recipes that is made easier with a baking mix. I first made this cake when I was in middle school and every once in a while I bake one for nostalgia.
Hello Friends! How is your week going? I have been doing a little baking each week and the other day I made this old favorite.
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a light dessert or brunch cake, I first made this recipe in middle school. The recipe used to be on every box of the baking mix back in the day at it was called Crumb Coffee Cake.
I love simple recipes like this one because chances are you have everything on hand to make this in your pantry.
List of main ingredients.
Baking Mix – I highly recommend Bisquick for this recipe, but jiffy or generic brand baking mix will work just fine.
Brown Sugar –I prefer light brown sugar, but dark brown works fine too.
Cinnamon Topping – This topping makes it so good! You can find the recipe for the topping below.
Variations on this recipe:
You can add pecans or walnuts to the cake and/or the topping for a fun variation.
You can ice the cake with a light mixture of powdered sugar and water and drizzle it over the cake.
For more great breakfast cake recipes ideas, check out:
- Lemon Blueberry Cake – A light lemon cake that celebrates the flavors of spring and summer.
- Easy Banana Bread – Made with bananas, brown sugar and pecans, this bread is amazing!
- Classic Zucchini Bread – This buttery bread is made with fresh zucchini – a great way to enjoy zucchini from your garden or the farmers market.
How to make Streusel Coffee Cake
The full recipe is below, but it is basically four steps:
- Make the batter.
- Make the streusel topping.
- Add topping to the batter.
- Bake and serve.
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe.
Streusel Coffee Cake
Streusel Coffee Cake
- 2 cups Baking Mix
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Grease an 8" or 9" cake pan or square pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Mix cake ingredients in a medium mixing bowl
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Top with topping (recipe below).
- Bake 20-24 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Streusel Topping Recipe
1/3 cup Baking mix
1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
Mix the above ingredients in a small bowl with a fork until crumbly. This topping recipe works well on other breads and muffins too!
- I like to have baggies with the baking mix and sugar ready to go in the pantry. I use a container for the dry ingredients for the batter and for the topping – so easy!
- You can double this recipe and give the second cake to a friend that could use a nice surprise!
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.