This Easy Banana Bread is made with bananas and spices to make wonderful bakery-style bread. Topped with brown sugar, it is sure to be a hit with your family.
This is Old Fashioned Banana Bread recipe is one of our favorites to make year-round. Perfect for a morning snack or even as a dessert. Be sure to check out my time-saving tips after the recipe.
Why This Recipe Rocks
QUICK. Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty sweet bread to put together quickly. I love simple recipes like this one, because I can use ingredients I already have on hand and the amount of clean up is minimal.
DELICIOUS This banana bread is so delicious and flavorful. It goes great with breakfast, brunch, coffee, tea or as dessert or a lunch box snack.
BUDGET- FRIENDLY This is pretty economical to make. It is also a great way to use up leftover bananas.
Ingredients for Banana Bread
Flour – I use all-purpose flour.
Milk – I use low-fat (2%) milk because that is what we usually have on hand. Whole milk skinned milk and canned milk also work well.
Bananas – This is the ingredient that brings this recipe all together. Be sure to use ripe bananas.
Nuts - Of course, this is optional, but I feel that nuts really add to the bread. I used Pecans as they are my favorite for baking. Walnuts, Macadamia nuts, or almonds will also work in this recipe.
I make banana bread all year round, but this time of year I find myself making them more often. There is just something comforting about an old-school sweet bread that brings some comfort to the table.
Variations and Substitutions
As I mentioned above, you can use a variety of nuts for this recipe and it will come out great. Or, if you do not want to include nuts, you will have a loaf of wonderful banana bread without nuts.
Banana Bread without Baking Soda - You can make this banana bread recipe without baking soda if you like. just omit it and add a tablespoon of baking powder to this recipe.
You can also make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread by adding ½ cup of chocolate chips to the batter.
TASTY TIP - Sprinkle the batter with brown sugar before baking for a light, sugary crust.
For more great recipes ideas
- Drop Biscuits - No yeast or eggs needed for this wonderful buttermilk-tasting biscuit recipe.
- Best Ever Beer Bread – The easiest bread recipe ever!
- Ultimate Garlic Bread – Cheesy goodness in a simple recipe that goes well with so many casserole and pasta dishes.
- Easy Golden Corn Bread -this easy Cornbread Recipe from Cornmeal is so easy to make and is delicious! It takes the same time as a mix and tastes so good
- Classic Zucchini Bread – Made with fresh zucchini for a wonderful way to celebrate the season.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe
Easy Banana Bread
- Chop the pecans ahead of time and keep them in the freezer until ready to use. This is a great tip for using nuts in other recipes.
- You can use mini loaf pans for this recipe. They will bake a little quicker and they are great to freeze or pass on to friends and neighbors.
- When you notice that bananas are ripe and you have too many, freeze them. Peel the bananas and store in a ziploc bag in your freezer so that they are ready to use.
- This can also be used to make muffins, just bake for around 20 -25 minutes.
More Easy Banana Recipes
Banana Pudding Cheesecake. So easy and absolutely delicious!
Easy Banana Bread - Super simple bread recipe you'll love.
Banana Smoothie - Use up those leftover bananas for this smoothie recipe.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - So good!
More Bakery Style Bread Recipes
Creamy Banana Smoothie. This smoothie is so creamy it tastes like a desert!
Old Fashioned Banana Bread
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- butter, shortening or oil for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter, shortening or oil
- In a large bowl, peel and mash bananas.
- Add to bowl, eggs, butter and sour cream . Mix well.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, melted butter, baking soda, baking powder and nuts and blend.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!