A delicious Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe is a delicious, moist cake that is perfect for gatherings and picnics. Made with bananas, spices, and topped with cream cheese icing, this recipe comes together in just about 60 minutes!
Banana cake has always been a favorite if mine and honestly it took a few times to get it just right. This recipe works well and I make mine in a 13 by 9" pan.
Why This Recipe
This Banana Cake is a nice dessert that is great any time of the year. This recipe uses regular flour and of course bananas! Another great way to use up overripe bananas.
I have served this cake as a birthday cake and as a dessert for a party. It makes a nice oblong cake and is easy to frost with homemade cream cheese frosting.
This cake has pecans in it for a nice crunch but you can omit them if you wish.
Ingredients For Easy Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Flour - I use all-purpose flour with great results.
Sugar - What I love about this recipe is that it has both white and brown sugars, blending together to make a delicious cake.
Bananas - Use 2 large or 3 medium-sized ripe bananas for this recipe.
Sour Cream - A component of the cake that makes them richer.
Eggs - I use Grade A eggs from the grocery store.
Nuts - This recipe uses chopped pecans, but you can substitute chopped walnuts if you wish.
How to Make A Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream butter and sugars in a bowl.
- Mix until fluffy.
- Add eggs and gradually add dry ingredients.
- Fold in nuts.
Then pour into a greased pan and bake.
Once done, let cool.
Honestly, you could enjoy it as is at this point, as it is flavorful enough without frosting. But it is even better with a cream cheese frosting, so why not? You can find the cream cheese frosting recipe here.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- Preparing the pan with butter and a light coating of flour will help with removing slices.
- For best results use ripe bananas that are deep yellow or yellow and brown. Green bananas are not ripe enough and do not taste as good.
- Use butter at room temperature for best results. It should be cool and malleable, without being squishy soft. It is helpful to also bring the sour cream and eggs to room temperature before mixing.
Tres Leches Cake - A delicious dessert made with three types of milk!
Sour Cream Cake Recipe – A delicious light pound cake that is perfect any time of year.
Banana Chocolate Chip Pound Cake – For the chocolate lover, this pound cake has chocolate chips in it.
Lemon Bundt Cake – A tasty lemon poppyseed cake topped with a light lemon glaze.
No Bake Oreo Cheesecake - A delicious dessert any time of year and so EASY to make!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting - The BEST frosting for cupcakes and cakes when you want a creamy buttercream topping.
Cookie Cake - A giant cookie cake to be shared!
What Should I Serve With A Banana Cake?
Serve banana cake with Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream for a flavorful treat.
Can You Freeze the Banana Cake?
Yes, you can but it is best to freeze the cake before it is frosted. Let the cake cool entirely before wrapping and storing in the freezer.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped pecan
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, with butter.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, white and brown sugar until with fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Gradually add in flour mixture alternately smooth.
- Stir in bananas and sour cream until blended. Fold in chopped nuts.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean,
- Let cool before frosting.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
I can almost taste it! I love baking with bananas. We tend to have more of them in the house these days because of the baby, but a few ripe ones always slip by for baking.