A delicious Easy Cream Cheese Frosting recipe that is perfect on cakes. It is the perfect frosting for my banana cake, a carrot cake or a red velvet cake.
This basic Cream cheese frosting has a richer but less sweet taste than buttercream. Because it is less sweet flavors in the cakes really stand out.
I especially love that this frosting recipe just takes a few ingredients to make which makes it so easy! I have used it for years.
Why This Recipe is Great
This Quick Cream Cheese Frosting recipe has been my go-to recipe for years. It is made up of just a handful of ingredients and is the perfect complement to cakes, cupcakes, and other desserts. It is the best frosting for red velvet desserts!
Cream cheese icing adds a rich texture and flavor and requires less butter than buttercream. This recipe also works for chocolate cream cheese frosting too.
This delicious frosting is easily made with the help of your stand or hand mixer and is ready to go in about 5 minutes.
Ingredients For Cream Cheese Frosting
Just a few simple ingredients are needed to make this basic recipe
Cream cheese - You will want to use cold cream cheese to make the frosting. Do not leave it out to soften before using
Butter - Use real butter for best results
Powdered Sugar - I have had good results with both name-brand and generic powdered sugar.
Vanilla Extract - although it is not pictured, I do add a little vanilla.
Milk - You only need to add milk if you decide not to use the Vanilla extract and want a whiter frosting. You can also use heavy cream for a richer flavor.
How to Make Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together butter and cream cheese Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla
- Whip until fully combined light and fluffy (4-5 mins)
- For a lighter color frosting omit the vanilla extract and add
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- Although not necessary, sifting the powdered sugar before mixing will make the icing a bit smoother.
- Do not overbeat the frosting or it will get too stiff.
- You can add a small amount of food coloring to tint the frosting.
- Use a chilled bowl to make the frosting.
Yes, you can make it a day or two ahead of time by keeping it in the refrigerator. Soften it and stir until smooth when ready to use.
Absolutely! You can add lemon extract or almond extract to the frosting.
Yes it should. Leftover frosting and anything topped with cream cheese frosting should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can but you should whip the heavy cream by itself first, and then add the other ingredients. This whipped cream cheese frosting will be lighter and a slightly thinner consistency. The more cream you add will change the consistency of the frosting.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe, it is the perfect topping for so many cakes and fresh fruit desserts.
Mango Coconut Cake - A delicious mango and coconut cake that is perfect for a summer party or luau.
Mango Cupcakes - These mango cupcakes are a fun tropical dessert that are made with fresh mango.
Please consider leaving a 5 star rating if you loved this recipe.
Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
- electric mixer with paddle attachment or whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- 2 8 oz oz cream cheese blocks
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese on low speed.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and milk to cream cheese mixture.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Whip medium speed and then on medium-high speed until fully combined light and fluffy (4-5 minutes). Scrap the bottom of the bowl often while mixing.
- For a lighter color frosting omit the vanilla extract and add a little more milk.
We hope you loved this fun cream cheese frosting recipe as much as we do!
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!