A deliciously rich and creamy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe that is perfect for cupcakes, cakes, and other desserts.
Made with butter and cream, this Vanilla buttercream frosting recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes!
Why This Recipe
This vanilla buttercream frosting recipe is rich, creamy, and tasty. Made with just a few ingredients, it is my go-to recipe for cakes, cookies, or cupcakes.
The rich buttercream is flavored with vanilla, but it is a very versatile recipe. You can change up the flavorings, and add coloring to make it into a lemon, strawberry, or chocolate frosting.
This is my favorite Vanilla frosting recipe for cupcakes and cakes. It works great with decorating tips and spreads nicely as well. It is not greasy or artificial tasting.
Frosting can make or break a dessert. This recipe is a nice balance of sweet and creamy that works well every time.
Ingredients For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Butter – I like to use unsalted buttercream so that the butter is pure. You can add a pinch of salt to the frosting once it is made if you wish. The butter should be at room temperature. I do not recommend substituting margarine for butter in this recipe.
Confectioners Sugar – Also known as powdered sugar. It’s always a good idea to sift it before using it, as it makes a big difference in the texture of your buttercream.
Vanilla Extract – Vanilla can be expensive but I do not recommend using a generic brand. The flavor is key and you want to use quality vanilla for your dessert. Mexican Vanilla works well as does Vanilla bean paste.
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- hand or stand mixer
- measuring cups
How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Place room temperature butter in a bowl or in stand mixer bowl.
- Whip the butter until fluffy
- Add vanilla and cream or milk.
- Add powdered sugar and whip until mixture doubles.
This buttercream can be made with milk, heavy cream, half in half, coffee creamer, or water. The thicker the liquid (heavy cream or coffee creamer) the creamier the icing will be!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup of butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar scooped and leveled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- In a bowl or stand mixer (with a paddle attachment), whip up room temperature butter to the mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar slowly.
- Add vanilla and creamer or milk.
- Blend on LOW for about 30 seconds, then whip on HIGH for 4-5 minutess until the buttercream is fluffy and it doubles in volume.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- Be sure to allow the butter to soften at room temperature. When whipping it, make sure there are no lumps left.
- When adding the powdered sugar, keep the mixer at low speed and add sugar a little at a time so that the powdered sugar doesn’t fly everywhere.
- For the vanilla, you can use clear vanilla if you want the frosting to be as white as possible. If using food coloring, be sure to just add a little at a time to get the desired color.
- Store buttercream wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator and it will last about a week.
What Should I Serve With Vanilla Buttercream Frosting?
So many things! Buttercream goes great on cupcakes, cakes, pound cakes and cookies.
Can You Freeze Buttercream Frosting?
Yes, you can freeze buttercream frosting fin an airtight container or ziploc freezer bag or up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator the day before you plan to use it.
Cream Cheese FrostingA simple frosting recipe that goes great on banana cakes, carrot cakes and pound cakes.
Dulce De Leche Frosting – A simple two-ingredient frosting recipe with the delicious flavor of Dulce De Leche.
Mango Coconut Cake – A delicious summer cake recipe that goes lovely with vanilla buttercream.
Don’t forget to bookmark this buttercream icing recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.