A delicious Easy Potato Salad Recipe recipe that is creamy and tasty and perfect for any dinner or lunch recipe It is also the perfect make-ahead salad for a picnic or barbecue side dish!
Potato salads have been made by families for so many years and it takes time to find one that you really like and recommend. This classic recipe for a super simple potato salad is made with mayo and eggs and just six more ingredients.
Why This Recipe
Potato salad is one of those dishes that nearly everyone has a recipe or two for. I think nearly all of the cookbooks I had during my teen years all had a potato salad recipe in it. This recipe is one I have loved over the last couple of decades.
This easy recipe for potato salad only takes about 20 minutes to put together. It will need to chill in the refrigerator, but assembling the ingredients is a quick process.
Potato salad is a wonderful, refreshing dish when you want something to go with your picnic or lunch menu that you can make ahead of time.
Ingredients For Easy Potato Salad
This is a very simple potato salad recipe that is made without vinegar. If you are looking for a potato salad recipe with vinegar, I have another recipe with vinegar here.
Potatoes - I like to use or Yukon Gold potatoes for potato salad. You can also use Russet potatoes if you like.
Pickle Relish - Even if you don't love relish, a little bit works really nicely in your potato salad .
Mustard - I recommend using yellow mustard for this recipe. If you want less mustard, you can reduce the recipe to..../ If you don't have yellow prepared mustard, you can substitute 1 teaspoon ground mustard.
Mayonnaise - Use your favorite brand or generic,
Spices - Salt, Pepper, and Paprika are needed for this recipe.
Eggs - I like to throw in a few hard-boiled eggs for this salad. I have a recipe to make perfect hard-boiled eggs.
How to Make Easy Potato Salad
- Add potatoes to water and bring to a boil. Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add relish mustard spices, egg onion and mayonnaise until blended.
- Add the potatoes and fold in gently but completely.
- Chop hard-boiled eggs and add to the salad.
Then sprinkle with a little more paprika.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- Taste the potato salad once made and add a little more mayonnaise if you want it creamier.
- Make the hard-boiled eggs ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the salad a little lighter, you can substitute some of the mayonnaise with plain yogurt.
- Store covered in a refrigerator.
What Should I Serve With Potato Salad?
What doesn't go with potato salad? Potato salad goes great with hamburgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, chili, and barbecued meats.
Can You Freeze Potato Salad?
You can freeze the salad but it is not recommended. It will likely become soggy and oily. It is best to avoid freezing.
How Can I Change Up Potato Salad?
You can add some cooked crumbled bacon or diced ham, to the salad as a variation.
Related Cold Salad Recipes
Creamy Macaroni Salad - This recipe is a favorite on our site and has been pinned over 16000 times!
Easy Pasta Salad - An easy pasta salad that is quick to put together,
Dill Pasta Salad - Dill adds a nice flavor to this cold pasta salad recipe.
Doritos Taco Salad - This delicious taco salad is a meal made with corn chips!
Penne Pasta Salad - Got penne? Make this delightful and colorful salad for a side dish.
Salad Supreme Pasta Salad - If you have never tried a salad recipe with this spice - you will want to try this one!
Pepper Broccoli Salad – Another great picnic salad made with broccoli and bacon. Sure to please and a nice, unexpected side dish.
Spaghetti Salad - This colorful salad is made with spaghetti noodles and is delicious!
Asian Cucumber Salad - A fresh and crisp cucumber salad with a tangy dressing.
Easy Potato Salad
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- ⅓ cup sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika plus additional for garnish Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ¼ red onion diced
- 1-2 cups mayonnaise
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs quartered
- On the stove, fill a large stockpot with heavily salted water.
- Add the potatoes (unpeeled) and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook the potatoes until fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and quarter when cool enough to handle and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the relish, mustard, garlic powder, smoked paprika, eggs, onion, mayonnaise, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes and toss until combined.
- Garnish with smoked paprika.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
I love potato salad, and Cassidy uses a homemade mayo which we love. Can you believe that I've never had potato salad with eggs, even though those are two of my favorite foods? I need to change that ASAP!