A delicious Doritos Taco Salad that makes a great meal idea any time of year. This easy salad recipe is made with ground beef, spices, vegetables, and of course, Doritos, for a tasty lunch or dinner.
Made with a tasty glaze, this Doritos Taco Salad recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes!
Why This Recipe
If your family loves ground beef tacos, try this taco salad recipe for a cool lunch or dinner idea. The result is a cool and refreshing twist on the traditional beef tacos and is full of flavor.
This salad is also perfect for picnics and potlucks as it is very colorful and versatile. Fresh produce makes this a gorgeous crisp salad idea.
Plus it is topped with cheese and tortilla chips so it is a nice balance of textures.
Doritos Taco Salad is a great summer meal idea as it combines the flavors or ground beef and vegetables with the flavor of tacos in a salad form. This makes it a perfect summer meal idea and it is quite easy to make.
What is nice is that you can change up this recipe from time to time too by changing up the salad with ingredients your family loves.
Ingredients For Doritos Taco Salad
Ground Beef – I like to a 90% lean ground beef, but you can use one with a little more fat too.
Taco Seasoning– You can use a taco seasoning packet from the grocery store or use Homemade Taco Seasoning
Beans – I like to use dark red kidney beans for this recipe
Lettuce – Romaine lettuce is the perfect lettuce for this salad
Cheese – Cheddar is what I typically use, but you can use a Monterey Jack or a Mexican blend
Tomatoes – Any fresh tomato variety works for this salad.
Onions – Purple onions make this flavorful and colorful.
How to Make Doritos Taco Salad
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet
- Add taco seasoning and water.
- Drain the meat.
- Prepare the lettuce and other ingredients.
Now you are ready to build your salads or place the ingredients in bowls to make a taco salad bar.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- Make sure to toss immediately before serving. You can add condiments such as pepper chilis and hot sauce if you like.
- You can make this with Thousand Island dressing to change it up – both result in a tasty salad!
- Be sure to serve chips on the side if you think you will have leftovers as the chips will get soggy if mixed with the salad over a long period of time.
- For best results prepare salad just prior to serving, this salad does not keep well in the refrigerator once ingredients are combined.
What Should I Serve With Taco Salad?
I like to serve my taco salad with a slice of Cornbread or a bowl of soup.
Should the Doritos Taco Salad Be Served Warm or Cold?
I personally like the meat to be warm on this salad, but you can certainly serve it cold too! People love it both ways.
Can I Make Taco Salad To Go?
Yes, you absolutely can make this recipe and take it on a picnic. I recommend preparing the ingredients ahead of time and serving the ingredients in mason jars or bowls so that guest can build their own salad
Doritos Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons or 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ cup water
- 1 15 oz can black or pinto, drained and rinsed
- 1 large heart romaine lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 2 medium size tomatoes
- 1 bag Doritos Chips
- 1 bottle Catalina Dressing
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Optional additional ingredients
- Green onions sliced
- 1-2 Avocado
- 1 can black olives drained and sliced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 can Fiesta Corn drained well
- Lime wedges
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour cream
- Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until no pink remains, drain
- Return to skillet and add water and taco seasoning
- Stir and heat through
- Clean and cut lettuce and tomatoes
- Add to a large bowl
- Add can of drained beans
- Stir gently to combine
- Serve with chips and any additional serving ingredients you like
- Store in refrigerator in an airtight container
More Hearty Salad Recipes
Best Egg Salad Recipe – A delicious and simple recipe for the perfect egg salad.
Southwest Chicken Salad – Chicken makes this tasty salad a refreshing meal idea.
Italian Salad Recipe – This take on an Italian salad is both hearty and delicious.
Vegetable Spaghetti Salad – If you have never tried spaghetti salad, you are in for a treat with this recipe.
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.