This bright Chickpea Salad With Corn is the perfect complement to so many dishes. With Asian flavors and fresh ingredients, you can serve this unique and colorful salad for any occasion or meal.
This delicious salad is a perfect side dish or main dish any time of year.Jump to Recipe
Why You Will Love This Salad
Unique. It is so easy to get in a rut when it comes to salads. Yet, it is so important to make sure we eat a healthy amount of vegetables each day. If we are tired of what we eat that doesn't help.
A base of lettuce and cabbage is complemented with sweet corn and oranges for sweetness, bell peppers and scallions for balance, and of course, chickpeas. A scattering of cilantro and homemade sesame brittle is the perfect finishing touch with our simple dressing with sesame miso flavors.
Flavorful. A homemade sesame miso dressing is one of my favorite flavors in the world. This makes such a delicious salad you will be asked to make it again and again.
Nutritious. Protein from the chickpeas and all the vitamins and minerals from the vegetables make this a one of the healthy salads you can include as a side dish.
Corn Chickpea Salad Ingredients
- Lettuce. Nice green leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce will work perfectly.
- Purple Cabbage. It adds beautiful color and important enzymes.
- Sweet Corn. You can use frozen or fresh corn kernels. Fresh sweet corn - You will need between 1 -1 ½ ears of corn to get one cup.
- Yellow Bell Pepper. Substitute with red or orange if needed.
- Oranges. Gives the salad sweetness and flavor.
- Can of Chickpeas. These are very high in protein. You may also find them labeled Garbanzo beans.
- Scallions. This is a mild form of onion that is used interchangeably with green onions or Spring onions.
- Cilantro. Fresh cilantro leaves add a burst of flavor.
- Homemade Sesame Miso Dressing. Once you've made this homemade dressing, you will be shocked at how simple it is.
- Homemade Sesame Brittle. Sweet candied sesame to top everything off.
- Mild White Miso. Mild, sweet miso made with less fermentation time and less salt.
- Soy Sauce. Made from the fermented paste of soybeans, it provides the salt for many Asian dishes.
- Sesame Oil. A strong, aromatic oil with intense flavor.
- Rice Vinegar. Vinegar made from fermented rice.
- Sriracha. If you do not enjoy heat, you can leave this out or halve the amount.
- Coconut Sugar. A sweetener. You can find it at your local supermarket, an organic market, or on Amazon.
- Ground Ginger. You can use it from a jar or grind your own.
- Garlic Powder. Adds just the right amount of vinegar evenly distributed in the dressing.
Sesame Brittle Ingredients
- White Sesame Seeds. For crunch and flavor.
- Agave Syrup. To sweeten the brittle.
- Sesame Oil. Olive oil would be a good substitute.
- Ground Ginger. It adds a punch of flavor and a little heat.
- Salt. Intensifies the flavors.
How to Make Chickpea Corn Salad
This is an easy recipe. Once you finish preparing all of the vegetables into bite-sized pieces, mix all of the vegetables and herbs in a large bowl.
Mix the dressing and make the sesame brittle. Toss the salad with the miso dressing. Top each serving of salad with sesame brittle.
Add sesame seeds.
Prepare salad ingredients into bite-sized pieces.
Add green cabbage and oranges. Prepare dressing.
How to Make the Sesame Miso Dressing
Mix the mild white miso and soy sauce in a small bowl and whisk really well. Add the sesame oil, vinegar, sriracha, coconut sugar, ginger, and garlic. Whisk again until smooth. Toss with the chickpea salad with corn.
How to Make the Sesame Brittle
In a small bowl, stir the sesame seeds, agave syrup, oil, ginger, and salt until evenly coated. Spread this mixture out on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a thin layer. Bake. Sprinkle on each salad serving.
A little red onion or green onion can be added to salad.
Feta cheese crumbles
Garnish with a few sprigs of fresh parsley.
Tips for the Chickpea Salad with Corn
Make the salad with fresh produce for best results. This is an easy salad to make as part of meal prep. You can sprinkle with a little lime juice if making this ahead of time.
Keep leftover salad for one or two days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Fresh flavors will only last about a day or two. This salad cannot be frozen.
No time to make dressing, it goes great with a cilantro lime dressing,
More Great Salad Recipes
- Apple Waldorf Salad Recipe
- Mango Arugula Salad Recipe
- BLT Salad
- Simple Chickpea Salad
- Easy chickpea salad
- Fresh Tomato Salad
Chickpea Salad with Corn
- For the salad:
- 1 ½ cups chopped lettuce
- 1 ½ cups chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 oranges peeled & halved
- 1 14.5 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- For the sesame miso dressing:
- 2 tablespoon mild white miso
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ⅓ cup sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- For the sesame brittle:
- ⅔ cup white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 2-3 teaspoon sesame or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix sesame seeds, agave, olive oil, ground ginger and ½ teaspoon salt to a small bowl. Stir until evenly coated. Spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in an even, thin layer. Bake at 275˚F for 23-25 minutes.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
It's corn! I just had a sesame miso salad (from Trader Joe's) and the dressing was out of this world. I do need to remake that!