This easy Apple Waldorf Salad Recipe is a perfect salad to make in just minutes! Made with apples and grapes, this fruit salad recipe is colorful and enjoyable at any time of year. This salad goes great with pork chops.
This easy recipe was originally served at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City (Now the Waldorf-Astoria hotel). The original recipe was created for a charity ball and the apple Waldorf salad quickly became popular all over the US. I remember that my mother used to order this salad when we went to downtown Los Angeles to shop. At the time, I wasn't into salads, but I enjoy them now.
Are you getting ready for the holidays? Most people I have talked to have already started to prepare for family gatherings.
Today’s recipe an easy salad recipe to enjoy at family dinners. It is very popular this time of year because of the abundance of apples, but you can enjoy it year-round.
Why This Recipe
- This delightful salad is made with crisp apples in a creamy dressing and is delicious
- It is a perfect way to celebrate the season.
- This easy Waldorf salad can be a main dish for lunch or an easy side dish for dinner.
- This salad is very economical to make. This salad is made of celery, grapes, apples, walnuts, and mayonnaise.
Simply a delicious salad any time of year.
This recipe is perfect for a light lunch idea on its own.
Classic Waldorf Salad Recipe Ingredients
You will just need a few ingredients for this recipe.
List of main ingredients:
Apples –I use a combination of red and green apples for this salad. Granny Smith apple, Gala and Pink Lady apples are great choices.
Walnuts – Chopped walnuts are usually called for in this salad. I have made it with pecans too and it is just as tasty.
Grapes – You can use green or red grapes for this recipe, just make sure they are seedless. They should also. be juicy grapes. I always cut the grapes in half so that they are not so large. Really big grapes can be cut into fourths.
Mayonaisse - I like to use regular mayonnaise, but it also tastes good when made with light mayonnaise.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- You can double the recipe for a crowd.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
There are many types of Waldorf salad recipes:
- Waldorf Salad with Chicken - You can add a cup of chopped chicken to this recipe for a delicious and easy lunch idea.
- Waldorf Salad with Marshmallows - You can add a cup of mini-marshmallows for this variation.
- Waldorf Salad with Raisins - Add one cup of raisins to the recipe,
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- This salad should be served immediately as it does not keep well.
- You can serve this on a bed of lettuce or in a bowl.
Ideas for Classic Fresh Salads
- Festive Fruit Salad - A wonderful colorful salad made with fresh fruit that is delicious!
- Ambrosia Salad - This retro salad is a hit with kids and family members.
- Seafoam Salad - Another retro salad recipe that has pistachio flavor in it.
- BLT Salad - Delicious flavors of bacon, lettuce and tomato in a salad!
Traditional Waldorf Salad Recipe
Apple Waldorf Salad
- 2 green apples
- 1 red apple
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup grapes halved
- Wash and core the apples.
- Cut the apples into quarters and then dice into small pieces. You do not need to peel the apples.
- Place apples in alarge or medium bowl and add lemon juice.
- Toss apples gently to coat. .
- Add chopped celery and walnuts.
- Mix together the half cup mayonnaise and honey and add to the apple mixture. Mix well.
- Chill until ready to serve.
We hope you enjoyed this classic recipe. This tasty fruit salad would make a great addition to any holiday meal.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.