This homemade Bisquick recipe is perfect for so many recipes. From homemade biscuits to cinnamon rolls and coffee cake, this homemade baking mix will save you time preparing recipes this season.
This easy Bisquick mix homemade version can be made in just minutes and it is one of those easy recipes that you can use year-round.
Why This Shortcut Recipe?
Let's face it, sometimes it is nice to use a shortcut in our recipe preparation. This homemade mix is made with just a few simple ingredients and the things you can make with it are truly endless. If you are familiar with the yellow box, you know that it cuts the time to prepare pancakes, waffles, and other baked items.
Dry Bisquick mix is a staple in my house and it is always nice when you can make your own pantry staples. This mix is made with just a few simple ingredients and it does not contain vegetable shortening.
This recipe is also a good Bisquick substitute if you are out of the name brand box. You can even give homemade Bisquick mix as a gift this holiday season.
Ingredients For Homemade Bisquick
Flour - I use all purpose flour for this recipe.
Butter - This is a homemade bisquick with butter.
- Either a Pastry cutter or a food processor.
- sealable container to store.
How to Make Your Own DIY Bisquick Mix Homemade Version
You can make this in a bowl or a food processor. Directions for both are in the recipe card below.
- In a large bowl, add flour.
- Add baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork.
- Transfer to airtight container and store in rthe efrigerator for up to 3 months.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- For best results, store your own baking mix in the refrigerator. This mix does not contain preservatives so it should not be stored at room temperature.
- This mix is a great time-saver for other recipes. It makes a good pic crust and more. (see some recipe ideas below.)
- Consider doubling the recipe and making extra to give as gifts. Add the recipe for biscuits on a cute label.
How Long does it take to make the homemade baking mix?
About ten minutes.
What Can I make with Homemade Baking Mix?
There are so many things, but here are a few:
- coffee crumb cake
- strawberry shortcake
- buttermilk biscuits
- cinnamon rolls
- Sloppy Joe Casserole
- chicken pot pie
- drop biscuits
More Homemade Baking Mix Recipes
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
Homemade Apple Pie Spice Blend
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, cold and cubed
Using A Mixing Bowl and Pastry Cutter
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt )
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork
- Transfer to airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 3 months
Using A Food Processor
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to food processor
- Pulse to combine
- Add butter and pulse until mixture is coarse and resembles cornmeal
- Transfer to flour mixture to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 3 months
Here is an easy biscuit recipe you can make with your baking mix. You can also use it on a tag if giving the mix as a gift.
Baking Mix Biscuits
makes 8 (using a 2.5 inch round cutter or glass)
- 1 ½ cups homemade Bisquick
- ½ cup milk
- Lightly spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray (you can use a vegetable oil or coconut oil cooking spray)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl until soft dough forms
- Knead dough until well combined
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out with a rolling pin to about ½ inch thick and cut with a round cookie cutter
- Alternatively, drop by tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown
Don't forget to pin this recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
This is really fun and easy, and I can see it always coming in handy!
Thanks Tamara - yes super easy and a nice base to keep on hand for so many recipes.