A delicious Baked Zucchini and Squash recipe that you can enjoy as a side dish to many meals, Made with a Parmesan cheese topping in your oven, it is ready in about 20 minutes.
This Oven roasted zucchini and squash recipe is a great way to enjoy summer squash and farmers' market produce. An extra bonus if you have both types of yellow squash in your vegetable garden! This is an easy way to enjoy it.
Why This Recipe?
This is one of my favorite baked zucchini recipes. I love that it uses both zucchini and yellow squash and it is honestly super easy to make.
This easy side dish recipe is also very economical. Most summer squash is on sale at the markets since it is abundant particularly in the summer. You can make the entire casserole for just a few dollars.
Made with garlic, shallots, and cheese, this veggie side dish offers a cheesy, creamy twist on the summer vegetable dish that is full of flavor.
This Squash & Zucchini Gratin is one of my favorite zucchini and yellow squash recipes, and I make it all year round. The result is a perfect side dish is likely to become a family favorite.
Talk about cheesy goodness!
Ingredients List for Squash and Zucchini with Parmesan
Yellow Squash - It complements the zucchini nicely. Pick a squash that is firm and glossy.
Panko - I like to use the kind with Italian seasoning for extra flavor, but you can use plain too.
Parmesan Cheese - fresh Parmesan cheese adds a wonderful flavor.
How to Make Baked Zucchini and Squash
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Wash the squash and. zucchini. Cut ¼" the squash and zucchini slices into fourths. dice onions.
- In a large skillet, cook squash, zucchini, shallots, and salt & pepper in the butter over medium-high heat until tender. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cream and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup of panko crumbs and ¼ of the Parmesan cheese. Spoon into 13" x 9 "baking dish prepared with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle casserole with remaining panko and parmesan over the top. Bake until golden brown and bubbly - about 10 minutes.
The result is a perfect side dish!
Baked Zucchini and Squash
- Cutting knife
- cutting board
- casserole dish
- 2 zucchini
- 2 squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup panko crumbs divided in half
- ½ cup parmesan cheese divided in half
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash zucchini and squash and cut into ¼" slices and then into fourths to make small chunks,
- In a large skillet, cook squash, zucchini, shallots, and salt & pepper in the butter until tender - about 2 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook 1 minute
- Stir in the cream and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in ½ the panko crumbs and parmesan cheese
- Spoon into 13x9 baking dish prepared with nonstick spray
- Sprinkle remaining panko and parmesan over the top.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and bubbly - about 10 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!
Expert Tips & Shortcuts to make this perfect
- Save a few minutes of prep work time by preparing the vegetables earlier in the day.
- If you don't have Panko on hand, you can use seasoned bread crumbs.
- Don't have Parmesan cheese? You can make this with Cheddar.
- There are a couple of different ways to make this a main dish by adding rotisserie chicken, just be sure to bake until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Another variation is to add 1 cup of cooked pasta to the casserole before putting it in the oven.
What Temperature Should I bake zucchini and squash?
We recommend baking this squash casserole at 450 degrees F.
Can You Freeze the Casserole?
You can freeze the casserole in an airtight container after it has cooled completely. The best way to enjoy the casserole is to eat it the day it is prepared.
Zucchini and Pasta Casserole - A great recipe idea that combines zuchhini, pasta and ground beef.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
I hope you enjoyed this easy recipe idea. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.