This easy Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich recipe is not only delicious, but they are so fun to make. Made with chocolate chip cookies, your favorite ice cream flavor, and lots of sprinkles and chocolate chips, these are always enjoyed.
Cold and delicious cookie ice cream sandwiches are the perfect summer treat. Make this homemade ice cream sandwich recipe for family or friends and make any occasion special.
Why This Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
These Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are perfect for celebrations and parties. Easy to make and a festive ice cream dessert. When you go the extra mile to make these ice cream sandwiches from scratch, your family and guests will feel loved and cherished. Nothing says love like the gift of time and energy and amazing homemade food.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches can be made ahead for convenience so that you can focus on more important things on the day of your celebration.
You can change up the sprinkles to match party decorations or themes.
Ingredients for Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Butter. Softened butter for the cookie recipe.
Sugar. Regular granulated sugar.
Brown Sugar. Dark or light brown sugar will both work.
Vanilla. Real Vanilla Extract.
Baking Soda. For leavening.
Eggs. Bring your eggs to room temperature for best results.
Ice Cream. Pick your favorite flavor!
Chocolate Chips. Semi-sweet or Milk chocolate chips for the homemade cookie.
Optional Toppings. Sprinkles, nonpareils, and mini chocolate chips can be used to coat the edges of the ice cream.
How to Make Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cream Butter and Sugars
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add chocolate chips and bake as directed.
5.Use a cookie scoop to place cookie dough on a baking sheet, Soften the ice cream while the cookies are baking.
Let cookies cool completely before assembling the sandwiches.
Place one scoop of ice cream on the bottom of a cookie.
Top with a second cookie and press gently to form sandwich, Roll sides of cookie sandwich in sprinkles and/or chocolate chips. Repeat until cookies are gone.
Place on a baking sheet and return to freezer until ready to serve.
Tips to Make the Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches Perfect
- If your ice cream is still too hard to scoop when the cookies are ready, you can soften it up faster by using your hand mixer. You'll need to put the ice cream in a mixing bowl and gradually increase the speed from low to high until the ice cream is ready.
- Slightly-underbaked cookies work best for homemade ice cream sandwiches. The softness gives the cookies some flexibility when you are pressing them into ice cream. They are also easier to eat when frozen.
- Make the amount of ice cream equitable the mouth size of your intended recipient. Don't make the ice cream too thick to eat in other words.
- Before you start assembling the ice cream sandwiches, pair up your cookies according to size.
- Your assembled cookie ice cream sandwiches will need at least a few hours to firm up before serving. I recommend making them at least one day in advance for best results.
Can I Make Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make these up to two weeks ahead of time. Wrap them individually in parchment paper and freeze in a freezer-quality zipper bag for best results.
Can I Make a Huge Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich and cut it into wedges when I'm ready to serve?
This sounds like a really good idea at first, but cutting a frozen solid cookie and ice cream sandwich is actually much harder than it sounds. I recommend making the sandwiches in individual portion sizes as shown.
What Happens if my Cookies Are Crunchy?
Crunchy, over-baked cookies really will not work as ice cream sandwiches. Someone will break a tooth! If you accidentally over-bake cookies, give them to your kids and start fresh for cookie ice cream sandwiches.
What Kind of Ice Cream Should I Use?
Pick your family favorite! You really cannot go wrong with your choice of ice cream for this recipe. If you are celebrating a holiday, you can use specialty ice cream to match the occasion. Whether it's peppermint for Christmas or a specific color to match a theme, any ice cream will do.
Oreo McFlurry - Just like the one from McDonalds.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 bag of chocolate chips 12 oz. Semi-sweet or Milk Chocolate
- ½ gallon ice cream
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined. Don’t overmix though.
- Fold in chocolate chips until well combined.
- Divide batter using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. You want the cookies slightly underbaked for the ice cream sandwiches.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
Assemble Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer and let soften slightly.
- Scoop ice cream and place on the bottom of 1 cookie, then top with another cookie and gently press together.
- Dip in mini chocolate chips or sprinkles, if you like.
- Place on a baking sheet and return to freezer until ready to serve.
- Store leftovers in the freezer.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.