Make a special nostalgic treat for your family and friends when you bake our old-fashioned Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. It's the perfect after-school snack with just a touch of protein and the perfect lunchbox filler for a special "I love you." waiting as a surprise.
Butter and brown sugar make these the best peanut butter cookies, and peanut butter chips add special pockets of sweetness to the cookie.
Baked to the perfect doneness, these easy peanut butter cookies will be the delight of every party and guarantee an empty cookie jar.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
Easy. Cookies that can be mixed all in the same bowl are incredibly easy and fast when you need a quick snack or dessert. This old-fashioned recipe makes chewy cookies that are likely to be a family favorite.
Delicious. The flavor of these classic cookies is spot on and crowd-pleasing. Peanut butter lovers agree that this is the best peanut butter cookie recipe. Make multiple batches with ease.
Perfectly Chewy. As the kids would say, these cookies are so satisfying. It's exactly the chewy cookie you want when you reach for the classic snack. Soft peanut butter cookies with peanut butter chips.
Ingredients for Old-fashioned peanut butter cookies recipe
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Butter. Gives the cookies a chewy flavor, I like to use unsalted butter.
- Granulated Sugar. For textural balance because if you used all brown sugar, it would be too much and vice versa.
- Brown Sugar. It adds extra chew and depth of flavor. You can use light or dark, but dark will intensify the flavor.
- Creamy Peanut Butter. Brings the perfect flavor. I like to use a natural peanut butter.
- All-Purpose Flour. Substitute with your favorite gluten-free one-for-one flour if needed.
- Baking Soda. Adds rise and helps the cookies brown on the edges.
- Baking Powder. Adds rise.
- Salt. Intensifies the flavor.
- Egg. Eggs in cookies hold everything together.
- Peanut Butter Chips. A special touch of sweet creaminess in each cookie.
Equipment and Kitchen tools
- large bowl
- hand electric mixer or stand mixer
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
How to Make Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
The full recipe instructions for this copycat recipe are in the recipe card, below but here is a step by step overview.
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugars, and peanut butter . Add the egg. Add your dry ingredients directly to this mixture and combine. Mix on medium speed with a hand mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl.
Remove the mixer and fold in the peanut butter chips. Cover and chill the dough for one hour. When you are within fifteen minutes, preheat your oven and get your sheet pan ready to go. Roll the peanut butter cookie dough into one-inch cookie dough balls and press each cookie with a fork onto the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for ten to twelve minutes and remove from the oven before they brown on top.
Let the cookies cool some before consuming. It's not easy, but it is necessary as they come out of the oven a little soft and firm up within a few minutes.
Tips for Best Results
Do not overbake your cookies. Remove them before they look done in the middle. Err on the side of removing them from the oven early for best results. Don't forget that cookies continue cooking as they cool. Cookies that look done in the oven will be hard and crunchy within an hour.
For a perfect peanut butter cookie, use a cookie scoop.
For best results, line the baking sheet with parchment paper. This is more effective than cooking spray for this recipe and also helps with clean-up.
Cool the cookies on the pan for one or two minutes, and then move the cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. They will become stale over time and can be reheated for ten seconds in the microwave to soften them up again.
Freeze cookies in a freezer-quality zipper baggy and pop them straight into a lunchbox to thaw for a mid-afternoon pick me up at work or school. You can also thaw them in the microwave for fifteen to thirty seconds as needed.
Short on time - try these 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter cookies.
More Great Cookie Recipes
Old Fashioned Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teas[ppm baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- In a large mixing bowl combine wet ingredients: butter, sugars, and peanut butter.
- Add egg.
- Add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix on medium speed while scraping down sides of bowl often.
- Fold in peanut chips.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 ° f.
- Roll into 1" balls and press with a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake in oven 10-12 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed this easy peanut butter cookie recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share delicious recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!