For a special treat, make shrimp skewers and serve with our homemade soy garlic sauce over rice. This shrimp skewers recipe is simple, delicious, and a family favorite.
Why This Recipe
I love shrimp and it seems like a decadent and rare treat just for eating out, but the truth is you can delicious and affordable shrimp made just the way you like it at home.
Shrimp skewers are a low heat way to prepare dinner whether you cook them on the grill or a skillet. Grills can be used year-round for speed, efficiency, and low-mess in the kitchen!
Just like my simple shrimp creole recipe, this meal idea is quick and delicious!
The combination of pineapple and shrimp makes for a delicious meal! Pair it with this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake for a lovely spring or summer meal idea.
Ingredients for Shrimp Skewers
Butter. Unsalted butter is preferred. If you don't have unsalted, be sure to adjust the salt content accordingly.
Honey. The perfect sweetness for this recipe!
Garlic. From a head of garlic, choose the larger cloves for this recipe. If you do not have a garlic press, I highly recommend it!
Soy Sauce. I recommend low sodium for cooking.
Lemon Juice. About half a lemon is needed for this recipe.
Shrimp. Because this recipe calls for a marinade, we recommend raw, peeled, and deveined shrimp. Deveining is a personal preference. If starting from frozen, follow the package directions for thawing.
Pineapple. To save time you can purchase pineapple already chopped at your local supermarket.
Salt and Pepper. Season to taste.
How to Make Shrimp Skewers
- Soaking your skewers first helps prevent splintering and fire, so that's the first step.
- While the skewers are soaking, you can make the sauce on your stovetop, or you can even put a saucepan on the grill if you like.
- When everything is ready to go, skewer the shrimp, brush on the sauce, and sear it all in butter.
- You'll want to only sear 3-4 skewers at a time so that your pan is not overcrowded.
- The shrimp kabobs will be ready when the shrimp turns pink or ever so slightly translucent.
- If you have a grill, you can save time by cooking all of the skewers on the grill at once.
- You'll need to let those soak in water for about 20-25 minutes.
- The additional sauce can be used for dipping or served over rice.
- For best results, skewer the shrimp through the thickest part of the head and through the tail.
- From start to finish the shrimp will be ready in about twenty minutes, so if using a rice cooker you may want to start that first. I have our rice cooker timed so that I know exactly how long it will take to finish the rice and can plan accordingly.
How long do I cook shrimp skewers?
Whether you are cooking on the skillet or on a grill, your shrimp will need three to four minutes per side.
What do I serve with these shrimp kabobs?
This shrimp is lovely served over rice with Asian sides like potstickers, spring rolls, or a nice salad with Oriental dressing. Roasted broccoli would be a nice side dish. The shrimp and pineapple over rice can also be a stand-alone meal!
How many people can I serve with one pound of shrimp.
One pound of shrimp feeds roughly four adults, so plan to double or triple the recipe if you will have a larger party. Younger children will eat roughly half of that.
More Easy Seafood Recipes
Bang Bang Shrimp. Delicious shrimp straight from your favorite restaurant experience.
Shrimp Scampi. A delicious recipe for the traditional favorite.
Grilled Beef Skewers. For more than one skewer option try this beef version.
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about one half of a lemon, freshly squeezed.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound shrimp
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or more if desired
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley optional
- Submerge skewers in water while prepping the other ingredients.
- Heat 2 of the 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, honey, garlic, and soy sauce over medium heat.
- Stir until well combined, bring to a slight boil, and then allow to simmer for 4-5 mins until thick- ened.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Place the shrimp and pineapple pieces, alternating them on the skewers. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Brush the sauce on both sides of the skewers.
- In a large pan melt 1-2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Sear the skewers for 3-4 mins per side, brushing sauce on the skewers as it cools. Skewers are ready when the shrimp is pink and not opaque.
- Remove from pan and serve.
- The additional sauce can be used for dipping or poured over rice.
- Soak the skewers for 20-25 mins for best results.
- Do not overcrowd the pan, cook 3-4 skewers at a time
- This can be done on a grill, instead of pouring the sauce, brush the sauce onto the skewers.