This easy bruschetta recipe is perfect when you want a quick and delicious, fresh appetizer. This bruschetta with tomatoes and basil is delicious. Freshly toasted bread topped with a mixture of tomatoes, basil, and olive oil makes for a tasty snack.
Fresh tomatoes are the star here and if you have some from your garden, it tastes even better! Honestly, its one of the best bruschetta recipes ever!
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta in Italian means "roasted over coals" and is toasted bread that has been rubbed with garlic and then dusted with other toppings.
Why This Easy Bruschetta Recipe?
This Italian bruschetta recipe takes only a few ingredients and the flavors of the tomatoes shine through. You can make this entire appetizer or snack in about 15 minutes.
The result is a nice crunchy tomato topped toast that is a lovely appetizer or side dish for a salad. The bread can be toasted in. your broiler or in your oven.
These also make a great TV snack recipe and is delicious with a simple Italian Wedding Soup.
You can also make a bruschetta recipe with mozzarella, by topping it with extra cheese.
Ingredients For Easy Bruschetta Toast
Tomatoes - You can use different varieties of tomatoes. I recommend Roma, garden or cherry tomatoes.
Onion - I like to use white or yellow onion
Garlic - Use fresh garlic
Olive Oil - Your favorite brand.
Tools and Equipment
- Cutting Board
- Baking sheet
- Garlic mincer
- Spoon or Spatula
How to Make Easy Bruschetta
- Wash and dice tomatoes. Peel and dice the onion and mince garlic.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the bread in ¼" slices and drizzle each slice with olive oil.
- Toast until crisp and golden.
Then top each bread with about 1 -2 tablespoons of tomato and basil mixture and season with salt. Top with cheese.
- 2 pounds tomatoes small-medium dice 3⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1 ⁄4 red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 3 ⁄4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1 loaf baguette
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut bread loaf horizontally in half. Place halves, cut sides up, on cookie sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the slices and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, dice tomatoes, mince the garlic and dice the onion
- Combine all ingredients minus bread and cheese in a bowl.
- Once the bread is toasted, rub slices with garlic clove, and season with salt right out of the oven.
- Top with tomato and basil mixture.
- Notes: Drizzle with balsamic vinegar or add crumbled cheese for elevated flavor
Notes: Drizzle with balsamic vinegar or add crumbled cheese for elevated flavor
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- You can substitute minced garlic from a jar for fresh garlic.
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes, you can use a can of diced tomatoes, but fresh is highly recommended.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the oil on the bread.
- Store your tomatoes at room temperature. They lose flavor in the refrigerator.
- You can serve the bruschetta in a self-serve style setup
- You can serve the bruschetta with crackers in lieu of bread.
Will Bruschetta keep overnight?
Bruschetta tastes best on the day it is prepared. I personally do not recommend that you keep it overnight.
How do you store leftover Bruschetta?
Keep the tomato mixture in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
More Bruschetta and Bread Recipes
Strawberry Goat Cheese Bruschetta -
Simple Hummus with Homemade Pita Bread
Ultimate Garlic Bread – Cheesy goodness in a simple recipe that goes well with so many casserole and pasta dishes.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
This is gorgeous and one of our summertime delights now that the tomatoes are off the hook.
Yes tomatoes are in their prime right now! 🙂