This easy Homemade Pita Bread is perfect for an appetizer or snack any day! Pita bread is so easy to make and is great as a lunch bread or snack idea.
Pita bread is great for sandwiches and as an appetizer. Of course, it is always great with Hummus too!. Be sure to check out my time-saving tips after the recipe.
Hello Friends! Wow, how is it that another month is almost over already? The weeks are flying by fast.
This homemade pita bread recipe is quite easy and if you are like me, you won't be buying storebought pita bread after making this. An easy recipe that is fun to make.
For more great bread recipes ideas, check out:
- Buttermilk Biscuits - A delicious biscuit that is perfect as a side bread or covered with gravy for breakfast.
- Easy Homemade Bread -There is nothing better than homeade bread and this recipe is super easy!
- Easy Beer Bread – This Beer Bread recipe is so easy – just six of ingredients to make a wonderful loaf of homemade bread in just a little over an hour.
- No Yeast Drop Biscuits – These biscuits are made with just a few ingredients and they taste like they are made from buttermilk.
- Ultimate Garlic Bread – Cheesy goodness in a simple recipe that goes well with so many casserole and pasta dishes.
- Easy Golden Corn Bread -this easy Cornbread Recipe from Cornmeal is so easy to make and is delicious! It takes the same time as a mix and tastes so good!
This recipe just takes a few ingredients:
Flour - You will need two types of flour for this recipe. Whole wheat and All-purpose flour. You do not need to use bread flour.
Yeast - Active dry yeast
Oil - You will want to use Olive Oil for this recipe.
How to make Homemade Pita Bread
The full recipe is below, you will want to allow a couple of hours for the dough to rise.
Then you separate into fourths before baking.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Homemade Pita Bread
Homemade Pita Bread
- 1 ½ Cup - All purpose flour
- ½ Cup - Whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon - Sugar
- 1 teaspoon - Active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- Water as needed
- In a bowl, take the flour, sugar, salt, yeast and oil.
Give it a quick mix and start to add a little bit of water at a time to form a soft dough.
Knead the dough until the top starts to get smooth.
Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it sit in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, until the dough almost doubles in size.
Knead the dough gently once again and divide it into 5-6 equal portions.
Shape the portions into round balls and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
Now dust a clean work surface and a rolling pin with flour.
Place one ball and roll the ball into approximately a 6-7 inch circle.
Preheat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius with a cast iron pan or a pizza stone in the middle rack of the oven.
Place 1-2 rolled pita on the skillet/pizza stone (depending on how many fits in the pan at a time) and let it bake for 2-3 minutes on one side.
Now with a pair of tongs, flip the pita carefully to the other side and let it bake for a further 2 minutes.
The pita should be cooked with slight browning and the pita should fluff up.
Take the pita out and repeat the same method for baking the remaining pitas.
- Allow about 2 hours for dough to rise.
- A pizza stone works best for the bread
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon