This Easy Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe is perfect for a bread side dish or breakfast bread. These lovely flaky buttermilk biscuits are great at any time of year too!
I love serving these with butter and honey when I am serving stew, chicken or meatloaf. They are so easy to make and truly delicious since they are from scratch.
Hello Friends! How is your week going? We are enjoying the cool weather of the season and enjoying watching our sports. Now that the weather is cooler, it is so nice to get cozy at home and enjoy watching our sports and shows in the evenings.
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty biscuit to add to your meal quickly. I love simple recipes like this one because I can use ingredients I already have on hand and the amount of clean up is minimal. These are so good too!
Today’s recipe is a wonderful bread recipe for any meal. For more great bread recipes, check out these:
- Easy Homemade Bread -There is nothing better than homeade bread and this recipe is super easy!
- Easy Beer Bread – This Beer Bread recipe is so easy – just six of ingredients to make a wonderful loaf of homemade bread in just a little over an hour.
- No Yeast Drop Biscuits – These biscuits are made with just a few ingredients and they taste like they are made from buttermilk.
- Ultimate Garlic Bread – Cheesy goodness in a simple recipe that goes well with so many casserole and pasta dishes.
- Easy Golden Corn Bread -this easy Cornbread Recipe from Cornmeal is so easy to make and is delicious! It takes the same time as a mix and tastes so good!
- Honey Butter Biscuits - Delicious honey butter biscuits!
Main Ingredients for this recipe:
Flour - All-purpose flour works well for this recipe. You do not need to use bread flour.
Shortening - Shortening works best in these - I use these to bake. Butter can be substituted if you do not have shortening..
Buttermilk -Real buttermilk is truly best, but if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute a mixture of ½ cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. The lemon juice will curdle the milk a bit.
Variations on this recipe - You can use a cast iron pan to make these too!
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large mixing bowl, cut shortening into flour and sugar with a pasty cutter or two knives.
- Once fully blended, add baking powder, salt and buttermilk.
- Mix until blended,
- Roll out dough on a floured surface.
- Roll into 1" thickness and cut into round biscuits using a biscuit cutter or small drinking glass.
- Place in a round cake pan and bake for 14-16 minutes.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
The perfect biscuits! The perfect meal side! And I love the idea of making them in a cast iron pan too.
They are so great year-round!