A delicious Choco Tacos recipe that makes the perfect summer dessert. Made with a homemade waffle cone, ice cream, and chocolate sauce, this fun summer dessert idea is delicious!
This choco taco ice cream idea is always a hit with everyone because it is a dessert made with love and fun.
What are Choco Tacos?
Choco Tacos are ice cream boats with waffle shells that are dipped in chocolate and nuts (or sprinkles.
Why This Choco Taco Recipe?
Choco Taco ice cream is a wonderful dessert idea any time of year, but it is especially appreciated during the summer.
These delicious ice cream treats are made with a light waffle cone, filled with ice cream and then dipped in chocolate. Of course, the final layer is sprinkles or nuts or both, making this a unique and truly fun dessert.
These are not difficult to make but they do take a little planning. I like making the waffle cones the day before and then making the choco taco ice creams is easy!
These make for a fun, memorable dessert idea. You can change up the ice cream flavors, toppings, and even the outer candy layer if you like.
Ingredients For Choco Tacos
Eggs – You will need both eggs and egg whites for this recipe
Flour – I use all-purpose flour
Brown Sugar – I like light brown sugar for this recipe
Chocolate Candy Melts
Sprinkles or Nuts
Parchment or Waxed Paper
How to Make Choco Tacos
First, you will start with the taco shells.
- Preheat the waffle iron. In a medium bowl, mix together waffle ingredients.
- Drop 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the griddle when warm.
- Close and cook for) 2-3 minutes until crisp.
- Remove immediately and place on taco shell form. Allow the waffles to set and cool for 3-4 mins before removing and cooling completely
Dip the top of the tacos in the melted chocolate and immediately add toppings (sprinkles, coconut or pistachios.
Place in the freezer for 15 min or until ready to serve.
Then dip the filled “taco” shell in the melted chocolate.
Top with nuts or sprinkles and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- waffle iron
For Taco Shells
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted
- 2 cups Ice cream
- 1 package Candy Melts
- Sprinkles or nuts
- Preheat the waffle iron
- Whisk all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Drop 1 tbsp of batter into the center of the griddle for mini tacos and 1/4 cup batter for larger tacos.
- Close and cook for 1-2 mins (mini) 2-3 mins (larger)
- Remove immediately and place on taco shell former
- Allow the waffles to set and cool for 3-4 mins before removing and cooling completely
- Allow ice cream to come to soften for about 10 mins.
- Spoon tablespoons of ice cream into shells
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for an hour (if ice cream is homemade) or 30 minutes for store-bought ice cream.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave (stirring every 30 seconds unti lmelted.
- Carefully Dip the top of the tacos in the melted chocolate.
- Immediately add toppings (sprinkles or nuts)..Place in the freezer for 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- I recommend making the taco shells ahead of time (as in the day before) for ease of preparation when ready to serve.
- Make sure when you cook your waffle taco shells, that they are firm not soft.
- If you don’t have a waffle maker, you can use a crepe pan or small skillet.
- Candy melts work better than using chocolate chips.
Where Can I Buy Choco Tacos?
Choco tacos are available at a few fast-food eateries and at online grocers.
More Ice Cream Recipes
Pineapple Coconut Ice cream – this no-churn recipe is delicious and tastes like a pina colada!
Peach No Churn Ice Cream – fresh peaches make this a perfect summer treat!
Berry No Churn Ice Cream – Strawberries and blueberries make this a favorite for holidays.
Strawberry Kiwi No Churn Ice Cream – fresh strawberries and kiwis come together to make this colorful, tasty dessert combination.
Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles – The delicious flavors of strawberry and lemonade in a frozen treat!
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – The BEST homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches.
Don’t forget to bookmark this recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.