This red white and blue dessert is so simple to make and perfect for summer, especially if you are looking for a fun 4th of July dessert. This “no churn” ice cream recipe lets you easily make this in your freezer in just a few hours. Back in the day when I was a kid, making homemade ice cream meant we had to buy rock salt, use an ice cream maker, and go through a long manual churning process just to make the mixture. It was good but it was real work! Somewhere along the way, some genius figured out how to streamline the process.
I am not sure who made the first no-churn ice cream but honestly, I think it was one of the brilliant food hacks of the century. Being a productivity manager, the idea of streamlining makes me giddy. If you have never made it, just try it once and you will be amazed at how easy it is made with just a few ingredients. Once I learned how to make no-churn ice cream, there was no turning back. Since then I have made my own flavors and experimented with different ingredients.
My daughter and I came up with this strawberry and blueberry swirled ice cream for Memorial Day. It’s one of the fun red, white and blue desserts that you can easily make for the 4th of July. The basic no-churn ice cream is just 2 or 3 ingredients – heavy cream, condensed milk, and vanilla from there the flavors are endless. For our red white and blue ice cream. we start with fresh strawberries and blueberries.
It just takes a few minutes to prep the fruits and get the cream going.
Mix them carefully into the cream and condensed milk.
Then freeze for a while. Before you know it, you will have a delicious and festive patriotic dessert!
Because it is red white and blue food, it is a great dessert to make for Independence Day, with no added food coloring.
Be sure to check out our other easy and quick ice cream recipes:
Peach Ice Cream – This delicious no churn ice cream captures the flavor of the season.
Tropical No Churn Ice Cream – A delightful pineapple and coconut dessert that is wonderfully creamy and delicious.
Strawberry Kiwi No Churn Ice Cream – fresh strawberries and kiwis come together to make this colorful, tasty dessert combination.
Strawberry and Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream – A Red White and Blue Dessert
Red White and Blue Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 14 oz. can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Sauce:
- Wash fruit and remove the stems from strawberries.
- In a skillet or saucepan, heat blueberries over medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar and two tablespoons of water.
- After a few minutes, mash them with a fork, leaving some chunks.
- Start a second pan for the strawberries and repeat the process for the strawberries.
- For the Ice Cream
- Beat 2 cups of cold heavy cream just until peaks start to foam. About 3-4 minutes. Do not over beat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour one can of condensed milk;
- Add vanilla to condensed milk and blend.
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture.
- Add fruit to the bowl and swirl slightly.
- Cover and freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
Have you made no churn ice cream? What other flavors would you try?