This Italian wedding soup recipe is full of flavor and warmth, perfect for this time of year. We have had some cold days and nights and at those times I crave a good cold-weather soup recipe.
There is a longing for a flavorful, steaming hot soup that I just have to satisfy. This one is made with beef, but you can also make this Italian wedding soup recipe with chicken if you like.
I have not tried making this in the instant pot yet, but I hope to try it soon. Do you have cravings for soup too?
Hello Friends! I hope you are having a wonderful week! I cannot believe that football season is nearly over and that my favorite team is still in it! There is no better way to celebrate team viewing fun then to enjoy it with good friends and good food.
This week I picked up a few recipe ingredients to fulfill my craving for hot soup. We are due for some long rainy days this week and comforting soup recipes are just what I want.
Today I am sharing my version of Italian wedding soup. It is different from the Olive Garden version because I used all beef meatballs but I still love it. You can also make this with meatballs that are half ground beef and half ground pork.
This soup is full of flavor and quite economical to make. Perfect for lunch or dinner and goes really well with this cheesy garlic bread.
Did you know that it is called wedding soup because of the “marriage of the meat and vegetables” in the soup. According to Wikipedia, the term “wedding soup” comes from the Italian language phrase “minestra maritata” (“married soup”), which is a reference to the flavor produced by the combination/”marriage” of greens and the meat.
For more great easy soup recipes, be sure to check out:
- Easy Mexicorn Chowder – This colorful and creamy potato and corn soup is made in minutes and is delightfully delicious and filling.
- Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper and spices. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening.
- Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup – A classic flavorful, homestyle soup that brings back memories of simpler times.
Don’t forget to save this recipe for later.
Italian Wedding Soup
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 carrots peeled, and sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- [email protected] teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach (washed)
- Mix together ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic powder, basil and onion powder.
- Shape mixture into 3/4" balls. Set Aside.
- In a skillet over low heat, melt butter. Add celery, carrots, basil and onion and saute until onion is clear.
- In a large pot, heat broth over low heat. Once celery, onions, and carrots are sauteed, add to the broth. Add orzo to pot and boil for 8-10 minutes.
- In the empty skillet, brown the meatballs over medium-low heat until brown on the outside. Gently roll meatballs for even browning.
- Drain meatballs on a paper towel and add to large pot of soup and cook 5-7 minutes. Add salt and garlic salt.
- Add spinach and stir. Cook another 3-5 minutes and serve.
You can make the meatballs ahead of time or use frozen meatballs for this recipe. You will need to cook the soup until meatballs are heated through if you use frozen meatballs.
Prepare the carrots, celery and onion ahead of time and store in a container in the refrigerator. If I know I am going to make a few meals several days in a row, I will dice onions for a few days ahead of time and just have them ready to go. It really saves on time.
We hope you love this easy soup recipe. If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!