A delicious Bang Bang Shrimp recipe served with a tangy bang bang shrimp sauce.. Made with a tasty glaze, this Bang Bang Shrimp recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes!
I used to get Bang Bang shrimp at a nearby Bonefish Grill, but that restaurant is now closed.
This is one of my easy seafood recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
Why This Recipe Rocks
When looking for a quick dinner idea, shrimp is a wonderful dinner that does not take a lot of time to make.
The shrimp is lightly breaded, sauteèd, and served with a tangy, mild chili sauce that pairs so nicely with the shrimp,
Ingredients For Bang Bang Shrimp
Shrimp - You can use frozen shrimp or shrimp from the seafood section. Honestly, sometimes the shrimp in the seafood section has been previously frozen, so just use your best judgment. The shrimp should not feel slimy and should not have a bad smell. You will need to devein the shrimp or you can purchase deveined shrimp from the seafood department at your grocery store.
Buttermilk - I know sometimes it is hard to have buttermilk on hand. Real buttermilk is truly best, but if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute a mixture of ½ cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. The lemon juice will curdle the milk a bit.
Sriracha - This makes the best sauce. You can use another brand of sweet chili sauce if you do not have it on hand.
Mayonaisse - A component of the sauce.
Spices - for flavor
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp
- Clean and prepare the shrimp.
- Soak in buttermilk.
- Prepare the breading mixture.
- Dip the shrimp in the bread mixture.
- Fry shrimp in a skillet and drain on a paper towel
- Serve with sauce.
Then you make the Bang Bang shrimp sauce, which is just a few ingredients and delicious.
- When soaking the shrimp in buttermilk, let shrimp set about 3-5 minutes to absorb the buttermilk.
- Save time by purchasing pre-cleaned and deveined shrimp from the butcher.
- You can make this shrimp and put it in corn tortillas for a second dinner idea.
Bang Bang shrimp goes well with white rice or in a tortilla for a bang bang shrimp taco.l It also goes well with coleslaw too.
You can freeze the breaded shrimp in a freezer in a sealed, freezer-safe container for about a month. Then make the sauce fresh.
Bang Bang Sauce is a creamy Sriracha-based sauce that is both sweet and savory.
More Fish & Seafood Dinner Recipes
Shrimp Scampi - Cooked in a wonderful garlic butter sauce and it’s ready in minutes.
Shrimp Skewers with Pineapple - Delicious grilled shrimp and pineapple skewers.
Tilapia Fish Tacos - delicious fish tacos with a tangy fish taco sauce!
Herb Crusted Fish - Made with a sweet red pepper sauce.
Easy Baked Salmon - Salmon baked in a delicious brown sugar glaze.
Homemade Tartar Sauce - A perfect sauce for any seafood dish.
Bang Bang Shrimp
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Bang Bang Sauce
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- Peel shrimp and remove tails.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet until it reaches 375*F
- In a large bowl place shrimp and cover with buttermilk, set aside
- In a medium bowl combine cornstarch, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Coat the shrimp in cornstarch, shake of excess
- Once oil has reached temperature add shrimp carefully
- Fry shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until they are a light golden brown
- Remove from heat and set aside
- In another bowl combine mayonnaise, sriracha, honey and sweet chili sauce to make dipping sauce
- Serve immediately
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here.