A delicious Bang Bang Shrimp recipe served with a tangy bang bang shrimp sauce.. Made with a tasty glaze, this Bang Bang Shrimp recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes!
I used to get Bang Bang shrimp at a nearby Bonefish Grill, but that restaurant is now closed.
Why This Recipe
When looking for a quick dinner idea, shrimp is a wonderful dinner that does not take a lot of time to make.
Shimp is lightly breaded, sauteèd, and served with a tangy, mild chili sauce.
Ingredients For Bang Bang Shrimp
Shrimp – You can use frozen shrimp or shrimp from the seafood section. Honestly, sometimes the shrimp in the seafood section has been previously frozen, so just use your best judgment. The shrimp should not feel slimy and should not have a bad smell. You will need to devein the shrimp or you can purchase deveined shrimp from the seafood department at your grocery store.
Buttermilk – I know sometimes it is hard to have buttermilk on hand. Real buttermilk is truly best, but if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute a mixture of 1/2 cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. The lemon juice will curdle the milk a bit.
Sriracha – This makes the best sauce. You can use another brand of sweet chili sauce if you do not have it on hand.
Mayonaisse – A component of the sauce.
Spices – for flavor
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp
- Clean and prepare the shrimp.
- Soak in buttermilk.
- Prepare the breading mixture.
- Dip the shrimp in the bread mixture.
- Fry shrimp in a skillet and drain on a paper towel
- Serve with sauce.
Then you make the Bang Bang shrimp sauce, which is just a few ingredients and delicious.
- When soaking the shrimp in buttermilk, let shrimp set about 3-5 minutes to absorb the buttermilk.
- Save time by purchasing pre-cleaned and deveined shrimp from the butcher.
- You can make this shrimp and put it in corn tortillas for a second dinner idea.
What Should I Serve With This?
Bang Bang shrimp goes well with white rice or in a tortilla for a bang bang shrimp taco.l It also goes well with coleslaw too.
Can You Freeze the Shrimp?
You can freeze the breaded shrimp in a freezer in a sealed, freezer-safe container for about a month. Then make the sauce fresh.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang Bang Sauce is a creamy Sriracha-based sauce that is both sweet and savory.
Bang Bang Shrimp
Bang Bang Shrimp
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Bang Bang Sauce
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- Peel shrimp and remove tails.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet until it reaches 375*F
- In a large bowl place shrimp and cover with buttermilk, set aside
- In a medium bowl combine cornstarch, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Coat the shrimp in cornstarch, shake of excess
- Once oil has reached temperature add shrimp carefully
- Fry shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until they are a light golden brown
- Remove from heat and set aside
- In another bowl combine mayonnaise, sriracha, honey and sweet chili sauce to make dipping sauce
- Serve immediately
Shrimp Scampi – Cooked in a wonderful garlic butter sauce and it’s ready in minutes.
Herb Crusted Fish – Made with a sweet red pepper sauce.
Easy Baked Salmon – Salmon baked in a delicious brown sugar glaze.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.