This Easy Shrimp Creole With Rice recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner or for a meatless meal. Made with bell peppers, hot sauce and rice, this Shrimp Creole recipe is a keeper for your dinner menu planning.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
This is a simple and delicious recipe and is ready in about 35 minutes. That is the great thing about shrimp, it does not take long to cook.
This New Orleans shrimp creole recipe that is a great way to celebrate Mardi Gras season with a delicious dish.
Perfect easy meal idea that the whole family is sure to love.
It also makes a tasty meatless Monday idea.
Ingredients For Easy Shrimp in Creole Sauce
- raw shrimp - You can use fresh shrimp or frozen shrimp from the seafood section.
- Green bell pepper
- chicken stock
- diced tomatoes
- Worcestershire sauce
- onion - plus some green onions for garnish garlic
- hot sauce
- bay leaf
- Seasonings –s paprika, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper white rice
How to Make Shrimp Creole with Rice
Step By Step Instructions
- In a large pot, sauté onion, green pepper, and celery in butter until soft
- Add in garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, hot sauce and cayenne - cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in broth and add in bay leaves Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes and Worcestershire, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in cooked shrimp to the creole sauce and cook until hot.
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
In a large pot, sauté onion, green pepper, and celery in butter until soft.
Add in garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, hot sauce and cayenne - cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in broth and add in bay leaves Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes
Stir in tomatoes and Worcestershire, simmer for 10 minutes. Add in cooked shrimp to the creole sauce and cook until hot.
Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice Season with salt and pepper, serve over rice, garnish with green onions, and enjoy!
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute brown rice for white rice, if desired.
- You can use cauliflower rice in place of white rice to make it a lower carb recipe.
- You can kick it up by adding ½ teaspoon of chili powder when the sauce is cooking.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve this recipe for shrimp creole New Orleans style with fluffy white rice. I like to serve it with red pepper flakes on the side in case anyone wants to raise the heat level.You can also serve it with grits if you like.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
You can use a teaspoon of cajun seasoning to add more flavor.
Shrimp Creole with Rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 lb frozen shrimp - thawed cooked, peeled, deveined, tail off
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- Cooked white rice for serving
- In a large pot saute onion, bell pepper, and celery in butter until soft
- Add in garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, and cayenne - cook for 2 minutes
- Stir in broth and add in bay leaves
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes and worcestershire, simmer for 10 minutes
- Add in cooked shrimp and cook until hot
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper, serve over rice, garnish with green onion, and enjoy!
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!