This Chili Relleno Casserole with tomatoes reminds me of my childhood. My mother used to make chili rellenos for my father all the time, it seemed. My father always liked his chili rellenos to be plain so that is how they were served. Traditionally, Chili Rellenos are made with a tomato sauce on top. My take was to use these fresh tomatoes on top and serve it with salsa on the side.
I like to make my version of Chili Relleno casserole using with evaporated milk, but you can also use cream cheese. The evaporated milk gives it a nice creamyness and richness without the added fat. This casserole is fluffyand has a nice richness of flavor.
It comes together so easy as a layered casserole and the flavors are baked together.
Once it is baked in the oven, the cheese, milk and eggs bake together to make a wonderfully tasty dinner or brunch idea.
Chili Relleno Casserole with Tomatoes
- 1 can whole green chilies
- 5 eggs
- 1½ cup cheddar jack cheese
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Lightly grease 8x8 baking pan with butter or oil.
- Layer chilies and then cheese twice.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add milk, flour, salt and pepper
- Pour egg mixture over chilis and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Top each serving with tomatoes if desired.
What are you making this week?