This easy Patty Melt recipe is a comforting classic and a perfect winter dinner. Made with ground beef, melted cheese, and caramelized onions, it is a classic at best.
I also love how inexpensive these are to make. Often I have some ground beef in the refrigerator and a homemade patty melt is a great dish to use that costs very little per serving.
I hope you had a wonderful weekend! We enjoyed the rain with some tv shows, games and books. It was a very cozy weekend and it felt good to be home.
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for an easy dinner that you can put together quickly. I love simple recipes like this one, because I can use ingredients I already have on hand and the amount of clean up is minimal.
This classic patty melt recipe can be changed up as needed and all the flavors come together in a cheesy dinner in just minutes.
This recipe was a classic when I was growing up. I do not make it often, but sometimes there is just nothing like a comforting, homestyle patty melt that satisfies.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out:
- Ground Beef Pasta - A delicious ground beef dinner made in a single pan.
- Taco Pasta with Ground Beef -This One Pot Taco Pasta with Ground Beef comes together quickly in a single skillet!
- Monterey Chicken Sandwich - A tasty chicken sandwich with green chilis.
- Bacon Breakfast Sandwich - A wonderful breakfast sandwich that is easy to make and great for on the go,
- Air Fryer Hamburgers - No need to use the grill, make these burgers in your air fryer.
You only need a few main ingredients for this recipe:
Ground Beef– I like to an 80% lean ground beef for this recipe, but you can use one with a little more fat (90%) too.
Cheese – I used Cheddar Cheese for this recipe. It is our favorite cheese, but you can also use Swiss (a classic for patty melts). American, or Monterey Jack Cheese for this recipe.
Onions – Caramelized onions are a must for this recipe. I used white onions for this recipe, but yellow onions work really well.
Bread - I used white bread as that is what I had on hand, but it can be made with Rye, Wheat or Sourdough.
Equipment and Kitchen tools
- large bowl
- large cast-iron skillet or large skillet
How to make the Best Patty Melts
The full recipe is below, but basically you:
- Prepare the patties.
- Saute the sliced onions and set aside.
- Cook patties over medium-low heat.
- Transfer patties to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Prepare the bread.
then flip the burgers and add the sliced cheese.
Next, add the sautéed onions and top with the second bread. Flip to cook the other side of the bread until it is golden brown.
Before you know it, your patty melt is ready!
Don't forget to pin this recipe.
- You can prepare the patties ahead of time. Place seasoned and formed patties in the refrigerator until you are ready to make.
- Slice the onions in advance and keep them refrigerated until ready to use.
- You can use pre-made hamburger patties from the grocery store.
- This recipe can be doubled.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
You can substitute a slice of Swiss cheese or American cheese for the Cheddar.
The perfect patty melt should be cooked to your favorite way to enjoy a burger.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
Serve with french fries and your favorite ketchup or burger sauce.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
Patty Melt Recipe
Patty Melt Recipe
- 2 slices bread
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 2 slices of cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ onion sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium bowl mix together ground beef, salt, pepper and seasoned salt. Once blended form into two patties.
- Met 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until onions are clear and light brown. Set onions aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef patties until browned (about 3-5 minutes).
- Flip the patties and place a slice of cheese on each.
- While the patties are cooking, spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on the bread slices.
- Place hamburger patty on each of the slices of bread and repeat for second sandwich,
- Heat second tablespoon of butter in pan and place bread with hamburger on the skillet. Top with half of the cooked onions and heat until bottom bread is brown (about 1 minute). Add second bread slice and flip sandwich. Heat until brown.
.We hope you enjoyed this patty melt sandwich recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.