These Baked Bell Peppers with cheese have been in my dinner repetoire for
years decades. I got the original recipe from Betty Crocker in one of my early cookbooks. Since then I have updated these and added some spices to ramp up the flavor.
The filling is a ground beef and rice mixture that cooks first on the stove.
Then the peppers are filled,
covered with sauce,
and topped with cheese.
I have also made these without the rice and served with pasta. I love it when I can mix ingredients up and change up a recipe. These are so economical when ground beef and peppers are on sale. I have not calculated how much they are but when made with rice these baked bell peppers with cheese are pennies to make.
Baked Bell Peppers With Cheese
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
- 2 leaves fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Prepare a pot of water over medium heat.
- Prepare the peppers by cutting off tips and removing the seeds.
- Place in the water and blanch the peppers about 3-4 minutes.
- Place blanched peppers in a baking pan, opening side up
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet, cook the hamburger and onion over medium heat until hamburger is brown.
- Drain thoroughly and break up hamburger.
- Add rice, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, garlic, and black pepper to mixture and combine.
- Stuff each pepper to nearly the top with hamburger mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Do you love bell peppers?