This Ham and Asparagus Spaghetti recipe is one of my go-to meals when we have leftover ham, especially after a holiday. Made with tender chunks of ham, spaghetti noodles, asparagus, and parmesan cheese, this tasty ham dinner recipe comes together in a snap.
This Ham with Pasta and Cheese recipe is a wonderful dinner idea any time of year. It is easy to make and a great way to use leftover ham. So economical and EASY!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy Recipe. Ham and asparagus spaghetti is a delicious and easy meal that combines the flavors of tender asparagus, salty ham, and savory spaghetti.
Quick. This simple pasta dish is my own Ham and Asparagus recipe and is not made with canned soup. I have nothing against ham soup, but there is already enough sodium in the ham, that I like to control the salt that is added to the dish.
Tasty. The asparagus adds a delicious flavor that the whole family loves! Honestly, it is one of the best vegetables out there and even better when it is on sale.
Versatile. This Asparagus Ham Pasta can be made with other vegetables. You can substitute (or add) chopped broccoli, green beans, spinach, tomatoes or mushrooms.
- spaghetti - you can also use thin spaghetti.
- 10-12 asparagus stalks, with the tips of the spears trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ham - cut into 1-inch pieces
- Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
I try to look for vegetables that are on sale and incorporate them into my meals because they seem to have gotten to be so expensive these days. Asparagus spears are usually on sale during asparagus season.
By the way, even if you are not planning on having ham for Easter, the stores usually have ham priced pretty good so it is worth picking up and freezing for a later date.
If you do not have room for a small ham, a ham steak also works great and is super economical!
How To Make Easy Asparagus Pasta
- In a large pot of salted water, Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus pieces and ham to the skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp tender.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet and toss everything together until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Full directions in recipe card.
While the asparagus is cooking, you can prepare the spaghetti. Once you drain the spaghetti, you can combine ingredients and add the cheese and flavorings for the best Ham and Cheese Pasta!
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Top Timesaving Tips
This dish can be made with penne pasta or fettuccini in place of spaghetti. Cooking time of pasta may vary a bit so be sure to check package instructions.
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
This recipe is great anytime you have some ham available. You can use lunchmeat ham from your grocery store. Ham and asparagus recipes are a great way to use up Easter dinner leftover
Serve with red pepper flakes and grated parmesan cheese.
Cooking time for spaghetti varies based on the thickness of the noodles - typically it takes around 8-12 minutes to cook spaghetti until it is al dente. Be careful not to overcook or noodles may become mushy.
Yes, adding a teaspoon or two of salt to the water helps to season the spaghetti as it cooks.
Yes, you can use gluten-free pasta from your grocery store.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
More Easy Pasta Dinner Recipes
Ham Spinach Pasta - Spinach and ham in a light parmesan sauce.
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese – An easy crockpot pasta recipe that does not require pre-boiling of the pasta. So good and so easy!
One-Pot Beef Pasta – A delicious pasta recipe with ground beef and vegetables made in a single pan.
Chicken Bacon Gouda Pasta – Chicken, bacon, cheese, and pasta come together for a wonderfully flavorful, comforting dinner idea.
More Asparagus Recipes
We hope you loved this Ham and Asparagus Pasta Recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Do you like asparagus as much as I do?
Ham and Asparagus Spaghetti
- Large Skillet
- stock pot
- slotted spoon
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ¾ cup cooked ham cubed
- 12 stocks asparagus
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti or linguini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water per the package directions until pasta is al dente. Drain spaghetti and set drained pasta aside.
- Wash and trim ends of asparagus, cut into thirds lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds over medium-high heat.
- Add asparagus and sauté 3-4 minutes until tender-crisp over medium heat.
- Add butter, cooked ham, spaghetti, salt, pepper and parsley and heat 2-3 minutes until hame is heated through.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!