If you have ever wondered How To Make Homemade Salsa - today I am sharing a basic recipe for salsa. My mother used to always have homemade salsa on hand and it always added lots of flavor to meals.
This easy homemade salsa recipe is a perfect complement to tortilla chips for a festive appetizer or snack any day! Made easily in minutes too!
Hello Friends! I hope you are enjoying the summer season and staying cool while at it.
Today’s recipe is perfect for fiestas and barbecues and is made with all fresh ingredients. This homemade salsa recipe makes a nice side dish or appetizer when you are looking for something to put together quickly.
We are all about simple here because I truly believe that you can make the most of your time by prepping and planning for meals and gatherings.
I never asked my mother for her recipe, but I watched her make it often and it only takes a few fresh ingredients.
Ingredients for Homemade Salsa
Tomatoes – of course, are the star of this show. I like to use tomatoes on the vine or Roma tomatoes for this recipe.,
Onion – I use white onion but you can use purple onions too.
Cilantro –A core ingredient in my opinion. It adds a nice peppery flavor to the salsa.
Jalapeños - The perfect chili for salsa recipes. If you want something milder, you can use Anaheim chilis.
How to make Homemade Salsa
Tools needed for the recipe:
My mother used a traditional stone mortar for this recipe, but all you really need is a food processor. If you don't have a processor, you can use a blender but know that you need to wash the blender well afterward so you don't get a jalapeno flavor in your smoothie.
For more great recipes ideas
- Cowboy Caviar - The BEST Cowboy caviar dip recipe.
- Homemade Chunky Salsa - A similar recipe with no food processor needed.
- 5 Minute Guacamole - perfect for busy days when you need to put together an appetizer in minutes
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers – a slightly spicy recipe that is great with cocktails.
- Hot Chorizo Dip– a nice hot appetizer for a cold day or evening. Great with tortilla chips.
- Pineapple Mango Salsa - A delicious tropica salsa made with fresh ingredients. Wonderful with fresh fish.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
How To Make Homemade Salsa
How To Make Homemade Salsa
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- While wearing gloves, cut the ends off of the jalapenos and remove the seeds and membrane in the center. Cut up pepper into small pieces.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend on high.
- If salsa is to thick at 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- You can use canned tomatoes for this recipe to save some time, but I recommend making the homemade salsa with fresh tomatoes.
- This is a great make-ahead recipe. Make the day ahead or in the morning if you can. Refrigerate until ready to use and flavors will come together beautifully.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.